playing with amp on a cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rugrat, Jan 13, 2005.

1. rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I was reading a magazine and it said that the vibration from the cabs can cause damage to the tubes and/or wiring. I've never had problems but I was wondering if anyone else has had issues of this type. It almost makes me want to use a layer of foam or something.
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've heard that too but have never had any problems caused by it.
  3. I've seen guys put a folded towel or two between the head & cab for this reason. I don't know if that would do much. If I had an Aguilar all-tube or something similiar, I'd have it in a shock-rack. I'd guess that would isolate anything fragile from vibrations, but I'm no expert.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think we've all heard it yet most of us have never done anything about it. Still the vast majority of our equipment still works. my guess is the vibrations in your car to and from gigs are much more detrimental.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, and what about combos?
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Good point.
    'nother Good point.
  7. I'm sure all combos will soon explode- especially if they have a tube preamp.
  8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Some players used to put the amp head on the floor next to the cabinet. But at the insane stage volumes bands used to run in the old days, the floor was vibrating more than the top of the cabinet. I always left mine on top because it looked cooler. My theory was that if the head could survive being bounced around in the back of a truck a little vibration wouldn't hurt it.