1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

playing with an octave up - anything else than the POG?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lebowsky, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    well I guess the topic says it all? :D

I'm looking for an octaver offering various octave possibilities, especially upper ones, and that can track chords properly. only other one that I know of is the Whammy, but I didn't like it too much. all searches I did here showed up the POG as the thing to go for, but being expensive and big, I was wondering if you octave guys know of an alternative? :)

thanks!

2. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The Digitech Whammy pedal can go one or two up, but on some chords it can get confused and warble a bit.

Pog & Hog are the best I know of, but are $$$$$$

3. King Roundwound

King Roundwound

Jan 22, 2007
    What about Boss PS-5 Super Shifter? I had POG but I sold it because it didn't do exactly what I expected it to do. This PS-5 seems interesting but I haven't got yet chance to try it.

Do anyone have opinion about PS-5?

4. Lebowsky

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    I don't know. I have always been reluctant to the non-bass-specific boss pedals.. crappy low end :)

what was it that you didn't like with the POG?

5. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    the Akai Unibass is an Octave Pedal that is Polyphonic.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Being a Boss-lover, I keep trying to like that thing; keep trying it out at GC... it just sounds way too munchkin-y at an octave-up.

I suppose if one were to split it off by itself, and add a reverb after it, but...

Joe

7. King Roundwound

King Roundwound

Jan 22, 2007
    Mostly because the tone adjustment capacity is too narrow for bass. It have great price, but it is not worth it.

I play also guitar and even with it you can't get enough out of it, to justify the price.

8. I personally find the Boss pedals that I have experience with are fine for bass.. I use a BF-2 Flanger, HM-2 Distortion, CE-5 Chorus and a DD-3 Delay... All work fine for bass. The CE-5 sounds better IMO than the CEB version... Go figure :meh:

9. any trade offers for my unibass?

10. My (somewhat luddite) suggestion is to get yourself an octave-strung bass... :bag: I know this is the effects forum, but really it's night and day, especially if you're troubled by the munchkin-like nature of octave-up shifting. I have never tried a POG, and I'm sure they are very cool and do a lotta stuff an 8 or 12 string doesn't, but if your aim is a good octave-up sound only...

When playing in a trio, I used to use a boss OC2 and play up around the 12th fret, which worked pretty well as far as I was concerned to fill things out and cover some extra sonic ground while the guitarist was soloing or playing sparse parts. Now I use a 12 string (eeE aaA ddD ggG) to fill things out when needed. I can play root strings only when I need to thin it out, but cover a huge lot of sonic space when I want to with my mini-biamped rig, and putting effects on the highs only. No low end loss, nice solid lows with screaming effects-laden highs (or not). And, the best non-SVT-set-to-stun bass OD I've heard for my purposes, from a boss OD3 no less (on the highs only).

You can get a decent 8-string for well less than a POG I would think... A 12ver, maybe a little more than a POG. If you want a whole lot of interesting/synthy/cool/bizzare sounds and an OK octave up, get a POG or HOG. If you want a great octave up, get an 8 or 12 string!

Steve

11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    No, not really.
    It can reproduce a 5th above or a 4th below, in addition to, the octave note (to simulate guitar power chords), but it does not track more than one note from the bass.

12. Seriously, no bites after I suggest buying a bass instead of a pedal?:eek: In the effects forum? :eek:

I was expecting righteous indignation at the least!!! Where are you, Pog Hogs?:eyebrow: :bag:

Steve

13. Lebowsky

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    well I was asking for alternatives to the POG.. not especially another pedal ;) but imo a bit too $$$ :eek:

14. We can't read posts that say not to get an effect....

In fact I have no idea what your talking about :confused: ;)

15. That's OK, neither do I!!!:eek:
    Steve

16. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    It's not really a competition in here, unlike say, someone questioning anything concerning SacredCowsky in the Basses forum. :smug:

I have nothing to add, except that I want one of these:

rgft_big.jpg

In fact, my Paypal account just got filled with all kinds of warm cashgoo, so I just might snag one...

17. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ

I'm with you Steve. Over the past 2 years I picked an 8 and a 12ver (Dean Rhapsody 8 and Carlo Robelli 12ver)

They're both create with a little overdrive (ObEffectsContent). I mostly like the Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive cause you can blend the clean bass sound in with the overdriven.

As for the pitch shifting front, I just got a Boss PS-3, but I haven't been able to test it out well with a bass. It's a fun pedal and the descending feedback delay/pitch shift are awesome. I need to figure out when I can use that in a song. I've also got a Zoom 509 Modulator which has a couple of differnt pitch shifting modes. Again, I've only tried it on guitar though. I'll probably mess with it when I get around to rewiring my board again.

18. best octave up for a bass imo no contest: akai unibass

however if you wanna play chords that is more difficult (i personally hate chords on a bass so doesnt bother me in the slightest ;))

my wh1 whammy can cope with chords fairly well in the +1 octave setting, certainly better than the wh4 anyways

19. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    It's really the best suggestion, no pedal can truly emulate a good 8-string.

20. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yes and no.

I've owned 8 and 12 string basses, and for filling more sonic space (which is what we're really using these basses for anyway), neither works as well or is more versatile than my Unibass. And it is also very easy to get a very good 8 string sound with it (not to meantion all the guitar-like things you can do with it).

Also, the Yamaha Magicstomp had a 12 string like patch that, after major tweeking by me, and run through some overdrive/distortion sounded very, very convincing (I almost kept it for that patch alone).

All this without having to have 14 different basses onstage. Not to meantion the increased playability factor over an 8 or 12. :smug:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021