1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing with Chronic Pain

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by FriscoBassAce, Aug 27, 2007.

1. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Many years ago, I blew out my back and the pain has been with me for all these years. I get middle back pain, low back pain, and pain down into my legs and feet. When I play music, the pain doesn't bother me as badly. I know that it's a form of distraction, but it also does something even greater, and that is, the music takes me away. The jam or groove of a song just makes me forget about the pain.

Does anyone else out there suffer from any kind of chronic pain and do you find music to be a release? I also get the same kind of release when I'm playing a killer video game, usually the first-person shooter type of game.

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    No chronic pain stories here, but I think its really great that playing music can take you away from your pain... :)
    For me, a really great gig (or rehearsal) can totally improve my mood. Of course a bad one can easily do quite the opposite.

3. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    There's a whole lot more going on than simple diversion.

What you are experiencing is the wonderful glow of endorphines being naturally produced. Grooving, video games and vigorous excercise all are great ways to stimulate endorphines. My wife screwed her back up big time in '91, and the best releif she ever received was through triggering endorphine production. Her current method for stoking the endorphine pump is bicycling. Find what works for you!

4. I use a TENS box to get the endorphines going and for pain relief...

5. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Banned

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    My bass cures me of anything I have going on. It heals me, and yeah I have a weird connection to it. I play and practice it so much that I feel out of place when it is not with me.

6. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I have cerebral pulsy which causes lower back pain. I go for the lightest basses I can. I play a Cirrus as my main. I had to sell the Warwick even though I loved the feel because after a 3 hour practice I couldn't bend over to pick something up off the floor.

7. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I've got a mangled foot that I completely forget about when I'm playing.

...Course, afterwards it hurts somethin' awful, but I always think it's worth it. :D

I've also got Arthritis in my left hand, but like the foot, I'm good until AFTER I'm done playing.

8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I have a notion that there's a lot to this idea. My C1 and C2 vertebrae are fused, I've cracked C3, broken my jaw, cheekbone and I've got congenital TMJ.....daily pain. Playing my bass can't fix the mechanical deficiencies I have but when I'm doing it right I can feel the soft tissue relaxing and pain lessening.

I've had all kinds of massage, physiotherapy, acupuncture, and while some has been beneficial nothing has been great in the long term unless it was very regular and often when I had the money for that I didn't have the time and when I had the time I was broke. For years I've been hearing good things about the Alexander Technique and doing some research lately and the focus is on breaking physical habits that are damaging to your body. I have an appointment this Friday and I have high hopes.

9. biff brown

biff brown

Jun 26, 2007
    san marcos, tx
    I just had surgery to remove a brain tumor that caused a rare disease called acromegaly. Part of the disease causes oversized hands normally with carpeltunnel syndrome. Playing sometimes sparked up the pain. and sometimes made it better. Now that the tumors out my hands work better than they have in years. unfortunatly I have killer headaches and have to sit on a stool during gigs. yes a week after surgery I played a gig. I'm a hardcore musician, or just stupid. But hey if it takes away the pain then god bless you. never stop playing.

10. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Peripheal neuropathy in both feet and Gortex® tubing in both legs. You're right Frisco, all my symptoms go away when I'm playing and don't usually come back until 2 days later. I guess it takes that long for my endophins to settle down.

Magic.