Playing with different pickups

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Plucky, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    i decided to let you guys inform me about this cause i actually happen to dont know jack about it.

the thing is: ive always been playing with the p pup in my bass and when i play the strings feel more.....well, less tight, so it'd sometimes make some buzz when playing and fretting cause my bass aint setup properly yet (yah, 5 months and still screwed...). but due to 'timmy c' influences over this past week ive been playing with the bridge pickup, and the tightness (if you wanna call it like that) that the strings have over that part in the bass make me play with more confidence and im prolly sure now that ill not screw up notes while fretting....

so if you understood all this madness, my q is: should i change my playing when i play with the p pickup (lighter play, etc.) or is really normal the different 'tightness' (for lack of a better term...)?

any hints, advice to fix this, pleeeeeaseeeeee.....

edited: yeah, my grammar sucks big time...
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I am not tottally sure what your saying (your grammar sux, lol) but I think I got the jist of it.

Anytime you play close to the bridge and use only the bridge pickup, the string will feel tighter and you can "attack" them harder without getting fret buzz, etc. However, your trading that full-bodied "thump" for a little more treble and high end. If you still want the deeper thump, I would recommend learning to play with more finess and not "throw the strings around", or you will continue to get fret buzz and some nasty sounds, even if the bass is set up well. You don't have to slam the strings to get a lot of sound, just use more pressure on light rest-stroke to get more volume, etc. It is a little tricky to explain without a demonstration. Once you get a good grasp and control on your fingerings and your picking/rest-stroke technique, you can mess around with the pick-up balance, etc and decide what sound you like best. I apologize in advance if it sounds like I'm saying you suck, etc, just try to give some pointers :D .
    PS...what bass and what strings?