Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing with drummers....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by oystein, Aug 1, 2005.

1. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    A friend of mine quoted the great danish bassist NHØP(RIP) from a consert he attended.
    NHØP:
    :D

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    :D

Also, you might end up at screaming at your "rhythm section mate" before the night is over.....

3. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    I'd like to teach a class for drummers called "How To Comp For A Bass Solo."

Lesson #1

"Try not banging with all your might on the damn ride cymbal."

Anyone else have suggestions for subsequent lessons?

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yeah...don't do the opposite, that little tic-tic-tic autopilot highhat thing that sounds like a frickin' lawn sprinkler set on "low". Give me SOMETHIN'.

5. try not banging with all your might PERIOD!!!!!! I know your feelin' it guys, but Cripes....it's an A-C-O-U-S-T-I-C bass.....and hell no! don't put the brushes down and pick up the sticks ....oh crap here we go again....(which pretty much signals the horns to crank up the juice and just like that...i'm lost .....

6. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I know bass players resist it, fight it, argue about it, and would gladly impale themselves on the drummer's hi-hat stand and bleed out there on the stage before doing it, but at some point you guys just have to turn the amp up enough so that someone, anyone, off stage can hear you. :)

Bar conversation:
    first patron: Who unplugged the band?
    2nd: They're still on, bass solo.
    1st:Really, how can you tell?
    2nd: By the faces he's making.

Walking bass line, in emoticons:
    :) :rolleyes: :eyebrow: :meh: :smug: :meh: :eyebrow: :cool:

7. I heard a group with Milwaukee drummer Dave Bayles this past weekend. This guy KNOWS how to comp behind the bass player. Knew how to ease off on the volume without losing one whit of intensity or drive. Plus he fed the bassist some nice rhythmic tidbits. Inspiring.

8. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    that's brilliant , it's cool to resolve :cool:

9. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Ha! That's great stuff. Reminds me of when I listen to music in my car. Why'd the song stop in the middle? Oh, bass solo. Time to crank the volume...

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Whenever you take a device that, in its inception, was designed to communicate with neighboring villages and scare the sh*t out of the enemy and mix it with musical instruments, you have balance problems.

11. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    LOL :D

12. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Good one, Ray!
    I have to snicker when I see snare drum ads, talking about the plys, the strainer, tone, material, response, etc.. It's like the only real question is "Is it louder than the guns, or isn't it?". :)

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    LMAO! We'll call it an even trade, if that works for you.

14. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Unfortunately it is not just drums that jump all over bass solos. They are definitely the worst but I've had piano or guitar players be just as bad.

15. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    The thing that both our guitar player and I notice is that the ride cymbal, even when played quietly, obliterates any tonal subtleties that we attempt to produce. Our instruments take on a generic sound. For this reason I try to never play with drummers.

16. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I knew things weren't going to work out with this one drummer when we made a trip to the music store.

As if his hands weren't heavy enough, he starts looking at piccolo's and pork pies. Right then I'm thinking: piccolo is a woodwind instrument and pork pies are hats :)

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm just the opposite. I love feeding off a drummer. IMO, the musical interactions and sheer fountains of creativity that can result of playing with a drummer far outweigh the loss of "tonal subtleties."

jmain: Pork pies? By the by -- piccolo snares are great! I've been urging my drummer friend to get a second snare (trash or piccolo) for almost a year now.

18. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    [/QUOTE]piccolo snares are great! I've been urging my drummer friend to get a second snare (trash or piccolo) for almost a year now.[/QUOTE]

They have a cool sound at decent volumes, but if the drummer is rawkin-out (like my buddy), they may pierce your brain.

I've seen some guys who set'em up on a separate stands for added flavor; and vice versa.

19. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I play a 4x13 as my main snare, it's a nice middle ground.

This discussion highlights a common issue, and as a drummer I can safely say that it takes esp to know what the bass man wants. One of my teachers liked to say that he liked to leave the bass man out there on his own for a bit, let him count himself. He would put his brushes in his lap and enjoy the solo.

I made a commitment for a while to pick up some "jazz chops", hoping to grab some lounge lizard work here and there and play a higher level of music than my current no-brainer pop gig. Loved the music, learned a great deal from a great teacher. But probably the main reason for blowing it off, besides being way too busy, is this reading of the bassist's mind and general disrespect toward the guy at the kit that permeates the jazz scene. It's apparently pretty cool to show disrespect to drummers. Maybe I'll get back to it one day so some bass guys can kick my tail around a bit. :smug:

20. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Hate to admit it here, but I approach the bass as a rhythm instrument with specific tones that helps to tie the whole thing together with the melody. (My brother is a drummer in Nashvegas :) )

I loved my friend's drumming, he was just loud. (was a former runner back/safety who liked the cartharsis. He'd prolly say I was loud; my 4x10 and 15 that was close enough to have burn holes from the cloves he smoked :p ) ...plus we were usually cramped in a small stage, practice room, or someone's living room at a party :) Aw, college!