1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing with fake money in the stock market. I have $40,000.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Apr 5, 2006.

1. What should I buy with it? We are doing it in group projects for economics class, our group has been stable at around 100,000 for over a month now, and want some neat things to trade into to get some monies. What would you do?! :hyper: :hyper:

2. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Waffles! Tasty Waffles!

3. Natural Gas commodities? *shrug

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Potatoes!

[​IMG]

5. Do the most amusing thing, and buy stocks that match your team members initials. When we did played back in 2004, not a single team that did that lost money. Hilarious.

6. We did this in a personal finance class when I was in high school. I "bought" 1000 shares of Pixar right before Toy Story came out.

:D

Go for something that you know is about to nab a big contract. Lockheed-Martin, for example.

Rock on
    Eric

7. with lots of syrup:hyper:

8. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    if you want to risk it, buy some microsoft ones, vista is coming out soon, it might catch on, but it might be a total(and i mean TOTAL) failure

9. pooch0072

pooch0072

Sep 27, 2005
    haha, same as you, except with Apple when the I-Pod boom hit. Try to diversify, and get at least one penny-stock, research it a good bit first though. Penny stocks can be fun in this type of situation, but for larger I'd suggest defense, companies developing IP phoning, financial institutions, etc.

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Alpacas.

11. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Sorry for the editing, Eric but I really like the first part of this line.

Buy something you know and know why you bought it. This is the essence of what Peter Lynch described in his books.

If you can come up with a halfway decent story as to why you bought something your teacher should be happy regardless of how the stock did. Better if you have personal experience with the company or its products or know someone in the industry with insight that Wall Street types may not have.

My Mom suggested Quality Systems to me because she liked the software - that turned out well. I remember the mid-90's and the only company that seemed to be hiring in the Boston metro region was EMC - that also turned out well if you remembered to sell. What is happening in your life and/or your part of the world that might give you an edge.

If you want to more or less gamble and finish either first or last, buy stocks of companies that are awaiting either FDA approval for a drug or the outcome of a big court case. I wouldn't really call that investing....., but YMMV.

12. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    My bad, Eric. I missed this line. Great stock pick! You end up finishing first in that class?

13. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    How about a bass-related portfolio? :bassist:

GC - Guitar Center

RIC - Richmont Mines
    RICK - Rick's Cabaret Internation (be careful if this is for a class, this company is in the adult entertainment industry, so maybe just stick with RIC)
    GENZ - Genzyme (I actually own some of this stock and a GENZ-BENZ head)
    DB - Deutsche Bank
    SR - Standard Register
    ABG - Asbury Automotive Group

Your hook could be that you were testing the efficient market theory.

14. the foam industry....

15. By a long way. Each group was given $100,000. Most ended the 3 month project with around $150,000. We finished with over $750,000. The Pixar stock split three times. I felt great. Only wish it had been real money....

Rock on
    Eric

16. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I'd be very happy with 50% for a 3 month return even back in the crazy dot-com days.

Your 650% return is off the charts. Lockeed-Martin, you say........

17. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    Isn't the carrot business quite lucrative these days?

:bag:

18. Kind of. We had half our money in Pixar, and half in Lockheed. 3 weeks later Toy Story came out, and Pixar split three times going from I think $35 to well over $80 in about 2 days. Which made us feel good. Then the government announced that they had selected Lockheed for some major defense contract. And it went up about 75% then split in about 4 days. Which made us feel even better. I think at that point we "sold" Pixar and bought a bunch of Warner Bros, which was going up for no particular reason that we knew of. We were REALLY happy at the end. Man, do I wish we'd had that in real money.

Rock on
    Eric

19. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    Oil. Lots and lots of oil. Oil influxes are huge. Over a three day span oil can increase by some 20%. That's a pretty big amount when you're dealing with alot of money. I don't remember exactly how much money we were allowed to invest with, but I do remember that I was able to double the amount of money we had over... a 3 month period, I think? If oil seems to risky, gold is less dangerous to play with.