Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing with gloves??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by paragsatyal, Jan 27, 2005.

1. this maybe amusing but has anyone tried playing with some woollen gloves on? i tried it accidentally yesterday and turns out it produces a deeper sound...(which i like)...anyone tried this?
    i like the sound but the thing is...i'm planning to play like this on a gig. do you think it's a good idea? i mean it looks really amusing and it's not so cold that you have to wear it.

2. Ive tried it, but the songs i tend to play (some mudvayne, and some jazz, a whole range really) need a twang or percussive tone in there, gloves muffle that.

But, i used to where a weights glove on my non-fretting hand because it gets sweaty and not only wrecked the look of my bass, but it tends to slip around a bit, the glove gives me grip on the bass.

3. nothing wrong with it, doesnt work for me, simply cause I cant get as good a grip on the strings... I like to feel the strings on my fingers... better control and attack...IMO

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    One thing to remember is that bass strings are quite abrasive - if you rely on gloves to get the sound you're after for more than a song or two, it might be worth having a spare pair!

Wulf

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Entienne ___________ (drawing ablank on his last name; begins with an "M", I think) plays with gloves on(silk?).
    Anyway, Bass Player ran a feature on him a few months back; at the time, he was playing with the new Zawinul Syndicate.

I'm with Aussie-
    I prefer flesh/skin.

6. oh i agree...but gloves are pretty cheap here in this part of the world...not a problem...
    but don't wear them in my left (fretting) finger...just my right hand...
    maybe i should get a set of black gloves to match my black guitar! :p

7. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    That's a strange one,I must admit...I never tried playing with a glove on my right hand,but I'll give it a try! :D
    On the other hand,(...not as a way of speaking,but literally! ;) ) sometimes I play with a glove on my left hand,only when a specific song requires it.I use to wear not a wool glove but a leather one.It's the unpadded,very fine,white thin leather like ladies used to wear in the past century (not as long,though,only to my hand wrist...and NO,for God's sake,I'm not one of those weirdos!!! :D :D :D ).
    Could you possibly imagine the face of that old small-shop fur and gloves manufacturer when I ordered a half of a dozen of such a glove,but only LEFT HANDS? :D :D :D :D :D :D

8. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    yeah man wearing gloves are alright. I play like that all the time. Well cause I can only practice in the garage or my room which is really cold cause of no insulation but you do get a nice warm round sound out of it. ALthough it does limit me so I only use it when really cold.

9. Hmmm.

That's interesting. I've got to try playing with some inexpensive leather golf gloves next time. I've got a bass strung with Fender tapewounds so that'll be something new.

10. Wool mittens do give a fatter sound, but I feel less connected with the bass and can't feel the frets as well for knowing where on the bass I am because I don't usually look at my left hand. The right is not good for me at all because I play a 6 and I also use a lot of thumb and double finger technique a lot as of recently.

11. I noticed the opposite with my tone after I got my finger worked on (Damn warts). After I took the bandages off, I started to play and notice my tone was thin and had more higher end boost. I guess this is due to a good portion of my finger missing. I assume gloves would do the opposite by adding more mass and giving a deeper tone.

12. i like fingerless gloves (although i can't slap with 'em on). i did once see a guy doing a beasty slap solo busking in the main st. while wearing gloves, though... he was cool....

13. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002

Etienne Mbappe. We had a thread about him in the bassist section a few months back. He's an incredible musician.

Etienne Talkbass Link

14. What about rolling off the tone knob a bit? I'm not much for gloves unless it's cold or I'm working, I've got to feel my bass and strings, i don't think i could accurately play while wearing gloves.

15. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    It's not the same thing.Try it for yourself and you'll see! :D

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I had to play an outdoor gig at the end of an unseasonably cold September, and it was absolutely frigid out. I ended up putting on a pair of those cheap stretch-gloves (cotton? I don't know) that you can get at Walgreens, or wherever.

It worked out surprisingly well. A little slippery, though I did not notice a difference in tone. I haven't done it since, but it certainly was interesting.

17. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    OK,this thread becomes stuffy...please all note that there are already 3 different issues here:
    1.Gloves for the sake of tone
    2.Gloves for "looking cool" (with or without fingers)
    3.Gloves for protection against low temperature.
    What was,though,the initial theme? :rolleyes:

18. Guest_Deleted

Guest_Deleted Guest

Jul 26, 2006
    I had the pleausure of seeing Etienne Mbappé live in concert yesterday. Outdoor and full tropical heat. He played with gloves and had monster sound and monster chops. Now, the thing I heard, that string gliss - the breathing extraneous finger noise that comes from when changing chords quickly up and and down along the neck - were absolutely non present, but yet all of the crisp attack. He played with much treble setting on amp.

See, the fretting hand does nothing, because, it's fret wire that does it, what's pressing it down is of insignificance. On double stops, and when dampening and shortening certain notes, they "stopped" sooner, with no side effects, just like a piano string damper that is made of wool.

The playing, picking hand it's what's all about. The sound did became softer, but anyway more articulated, because there's no extraneous finger noise at all from picking hand at all. I do think it removes that skin-to-string feel, which can take a while to adapt to. But, in (on?) the hands of Etienne Mbappe its makes all sense in the world.

I'll bet as well, that the idea came from cold outdoor gigs, and eventually turned into something viable, and long term musical idea. In the end, I think strings will last longer due to no finger "dust" or sweat abrasive will stick to the strings. Also, one advantage is, that if your hands become sweaty, I think the sweat will stay inside the gloves, and not act as lubricant on the strings, whats happen inside the glove you can just ignore, and continure playing. The cloth, wool will absorb it and not let it sip through the outside.

They ought to make some thin Gore Tech glove, or nano tech glove that would be suitable for bassplaying. That both keeps hands warm and are resistant to sweat and moves any seat away from the fingers and not let it stick on outside of the glove to sweat down the strings. Then you have same attack, grip and feel on the strings, regardless of sweating or not.

But check out Etienne Mbappe, anyway, in spite of him playing with gloves or not! He's way cool!

19. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I did that once, but I was jamming with a drummer in a garage in autum and it was really cold and my bare-bass hands weren't holding up to well. But it makes it feel wierd to play, you don't feel everything quite as well.

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yeah, Etienne does well with those gloves, stylistically. It's something he's developed, quite spontaneously,from a solution to an unrelated problem!