Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing with other people

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by my name is mud, Nov 4, 2004.

1. my name is mud

my name is mud

Jul 2, 2004
    WI
    Well last night I went to my friends girls house and her dad owns some guitar bus. on ebay so hes got like billions of guitars, drumsets etc. anyways me and my friend went over there last night so we could jam out a little after we got all blazed heh. So he starts a nice little beat on the drums and she jumps in with the electric then I come and bam...its all fuct up. I can play good and all but I got a differnt kinda style and it just never goes with what we are playing. Then when finally I do get somthing that goes with the drums the lead guitar never fits with it lol...anyone else ever have this problem?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    My suggestions.

1. Don't get "blazed" when you have to think/comprehend something
    2. Ask the guitarist what key she is playing in, or ask what chords she is playing. For example, if she is playing a strummy/folky chord progression (G-Dm11-Dsus4-F-Dm11-Dsus4-C-Am-Em9-Esus4-Emaj9)

Play the roots to get a feel for the song. Play this progression for a few minutes to lock it in and then experiment with either fills or total polyphony. If the sound is pleasing, build upon it. If it clashes try something until it sounds good to each other.