Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing with pick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Duff_McKagan16, Feb 18, 2002.

1. what are you playin with pick or fingers and why. And please don't say because mark hoppus does

2. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I play with fingers because mommy dearest beats me with the wire coat hangers if i use a pick.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    DULL_McCLUELESS,

I play with my fingers because I play the Double Bass, which, coincidentally, is the forum you posted this thread in. I'll let the peanut gallery have a little fun with this and then move it to BG where it belongs.

BRAVE NEW DURRL

4. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    oh yes....i almost forgot...mark hoppus DOES play double bass in, oh yea, none of his songs or probably in his life. you really should check what forum you're in. have a wonderful day.

:D

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Wow, everyone's in a charitable mood this morning. Upon looking at DUFFYTHEWARWICKSLAYER'S profile, I think it's a pretty safe bet that he meant to post this in BG.

And aWAAAAAAAAAYYYYY we go..

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I play almost everything with a pick, because it's more comfortable for me.

7. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I play double bass with a pick, I put strap locks in my new upright so the strap doesnt whip off when I do the Heavy Metal guitar swing over the head.

8. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    ROFLMAO!!!:D :D :D :D

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I play with either depending on the song and the sound I'm going for. I really hate these arguments over which is better. Both styles have their place and IMHO a smart player doesn't limit him/herself by only playing one way. When I played in a heavy metal band I almost always used a pick, but now I play in a country band and use fingers 80% of the time. But even in a country band there are songs where I like the sharper attack of a pick. Bottom line: IMO it is better to be able to play both ways (and slap, thumb/palm mute, tap, and any other way that gives you the sound you want), you are much more versatile that way.

10. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ive heard of a Rockabilly band around here where the bassist actually put a strap on a small upright and does play with a pick. I wouldnt mind seeing that.

11. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Couldn't have said it better!!:cool:

12. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I use almost nothing, but fingers because I like the sound, I've done that since the beginning, and my musical styles lend to it...I actually bought a pick and never used anywhere, but home...I always have it though, just in case I need for whatever style I'm playing...but I don't use play those styles...jazz, swing, funk, and ballads about the only thing I play and some rock tunes...

13. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    i play by fingers always... it`s harder to learn it but that u will get back deserves that pain...

listen to belly sheehan for example

14. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    What Rockabilly band are you talking about, I was serious about playing my upright with a strap and pick, it does look quite funny

15. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Both

Punk band = Pick on the 4 string
    Ska band = Pick on the 4 string
    Rock band = Fingers or pick (depends on song) on the 4 or 5 string
    Dixieland Jazz band = Fingers on the 5 string

16. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    fingers, they are just better :), you can doing anything with your fingers that you can do with a pick and more :)

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I play with my fingers because Fieldy does :eek: :rolleyes:

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    that and because I think it sounds better than using a pick.

19. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Both, depending on the sound I'm looking for. Why does it have to be one or the other? Why limit yourself?

20. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    i think playing with fingers is not playing only with fingers..i am not limmiting myslef.. i play slap,fingz,tapping, popping or how the hell i can name other technics... definitelly i play by all my body hehehe... keep enjoying da bass...

(pick is limiting a lot while playing.. fingers not)