1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing With Siblings

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Dubadays, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    I currently play as a bass player in a high school band with my brother. It's really annoying. He actually complains when I get more gigs. The worst part is, he's the guitarist....... Does anyone else play (or have you played in the past) with a sibling?

2. gnome_hunter

gnome_hunter

Jan 16, 2008
    Cincinnati
    im in a band with my little bro. he plays drums. we havent really had too many troubles like you said though.

3. i sometimes jam with my sister (keys) but only for fun.

4. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    I just brought my brother in to my new band. We had some "pay" issues with our former lead guitar player (he didn't believe that some money should be taken off the top of the pay to give to the owner of the PA system, who pays for gas and repairs for the PA, so I fackin' fired him since he was the only one who thought that way). Since my brother and I are already pretty close, he was an amazing addition. Also, he was strictly a basement guitar player, who was always a little too shy to play in a band. I told him of the opportunity, and he decided to give it a go. I am so glad he did. My brother and I are pretty much best friends, so that helps too.. it also helps that we are very close in age (18 months).

Having a sib in the band can either be amazing, or it can be a pure curse. I don't recall ever hearing about any in between.

5. CharlieDog

CharlieDog

May 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    My drummer and I did Killing In The Name and my brother guest appeared on vocals.

...but that's about it.

6. I play with my brother and used to play with my cousin. It can be a pain but atleast I can always be honest about things with him. And he understands the way I think so it helps having someone I can trust and at the same time I can scream at em but still have to see em all the time so, I guess I have no complaints.

7. reno88

reno88 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Atlanta
    take a step back and be thankful you have the opportunity to play with your brother. my older brother is a killer guitar player but he lives @ 4 hours away. he plays at his church (though not a zealot by any means) every sunday, 2 sermons. we've jammed together over the years but have never played in the same band. we talk about the possibilities all the time, but real-world issues prevent it.

when you're young, brothers can be (and are) a pain. but that changes - we all grow older (notice i didn't say "up"). take advantage of the opportunity and make the most of it while you can.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Reno beat me to it. My brother and I played together in the very first band I was in. I wish we could again.

9. I totally wished I could.. my brother lives 1/2 the country away and doesn't have natural talent.

Now that being said.. vocals by siblings are incredible.

Few could dispute that Brandi Carlile has become rich off her band of brothers.

10. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    My twin (we're 30) is a pro keyboardist/pianist/teacher. Nice to jam with him, but being on a totally different level myself I don't get to play with him that much unless it's my project. No chance he would call me for a gig of his... Anyway, we both have pretty strong opinions how things should sound so we don't always get along in the best possible way. We argued quite a lot when we were playing in the same band (for 7 years) and we still do that to some extent when we're playing together.

My younger brother (18) is on a good way becoming a pro guitarist too. At least that's what he is going to study. Nice to play with him too. A few years back, I showed him every lick I knew on guitar (which used to be my main instrument) and he learned them very quickly. Nowadays, he's showing me stuff I have a hard time learning and he's miles ahead already, at least technically. Regarding theory and experience, I'm still a good way beyond him... :) Nice to play with him too, but I don't do that too much, mainly because I live 400 km away, where my twin also lives.

11. My brother is much better than I am and our musical tastes aren't always the same but I really enjoy playing with him. He lives several hours away so it doesn't happen a whole lot but it is fun when it does. Not only does it help me musically I think that having music in common helps us as brothers, too. That said, we were in a band together in the summer of '82 and that was interesting. I'll spare you all the details but we spent a week going from Mobile to Louisiana and touring that state while riding in the back seat of a Camero. He's about 6' and I'm 6'4". The two short legged guitar players were up front and wondering why we bickered like children by the time that week was over.

12. My brother and I were the tightest rhythm section ever, in a few different bands, sit in jams, and our worship group. We were polar opposites outside of music but when he got behind a kit and I picked up a bass it was always magic, never tension or disagreement. He passed away 2 1/2 years ago. I miss him.

My youngest brother is becoming quite the drummer as well except I never get the opportunity to play with him as I now live 200 miles away now. For 17, though, he's quite advanced.

13. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Well yeah, I'm definitely enjoying the time with him, seeing as how is graduating this year, but man......he doesn't listen to a word I say. I'm the youngest kid in the band, and I'm always the one that has to take charge, but no one listens to me anyway :D

14. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Yeah, my brother and I also play in our jazz band, and between us and our drummer (who is also the drummer in the jazz band), we make a kick *** rhythm section if I may say so :p

15. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    My older brother is a really good guitar player, but we just can't play together.
    At all.
    We both turn into stubborn-as-mule control freaks when we play together. We're nice and diplomatic and group-oriented when we play with others, but get us together & it's like Gilmour/Waters!
    It's funny because every few months one of us will suggest playing together again. 2 hours in, we've both remembered why we don't do it. :p

16. yeah....me guitar, big bro lead singer.....not a good thing

17. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I played with my brother, brother-in-law (drums) and best friend (who's like a bro) in a garage band for a while.
    We wrote a ton of songs, but unfortunately never played out.

I'm going back up to Seattle to play a punk band reunion gig with my brother-in-law in June. Can't wait! w00t!

18. Growing up, with a father who was a professional musician & public school music teacher, all 4 of us had to play together, usually in church (me, 2 sisters & a brother). We all play semi-professionally now. We'll play theater gigs all together on occasion as we are available. It REALLY helps out to have a keys player & drummer handy who are willing to gig.

My brother & I are in a band together (he plays drums). He plays very laid-back; solid but not flashy. I play aggressively, on top of the beat but not rushing. We know EXACTLY how each other will play, what kind of fill will be used, etc. We always ride to gigs & rehearsals together (his kit & my bass & amp fit into my car with plenty of room). He is going into the USMC on June 29th, with 10 months of training in VA, so band will definitely not be as much fun anymore.

ian

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My brother is a drummer. He got the lions share of talent in the family as far as music is concerned. He was my one and only drummer for many years.

I think we play exceptionally well together because our brains are wired according to the same schematic or something.

He couldn't stand a certain guitar player, and found a different gig a long time ago. We've both worked steadily ever since, but are always involved when the other guy frees up his time. One of these days we'll ride again!

20. I've played in a band with my brother for 30+ yrs. He's the drummer....and a blessing to have. Great chops,strong meter......but we butt heads sometimes...... as all musicians do from time to time when your that close.He usually knows where i'm going to go on bass and vise versa. Makes for a very tight rthymn section.