1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing with your heroes - how much would you pay?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Mar 18, 2008.

1. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Not sure it was done before. But it might be fun.

You often see big money put on the table to have dinenr with celebrities for charity. Latest I saw is Scarlet Johansson putting together more than 40,000$ for a dinner with somebody.

So imagine famous bands allowing a bassist to join them on stage in one of their concerts. You would be given 5-6 mins of glory and of course the chance to rehearse with the band one or twice.

How much would you pay max and for what band?

I'm still thinking what I'd do...

2. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I don't think I could in good conscience pay any amount of money to subject any of my favorite bands with my terrible bass playing...

...I take that back, I think I could handle Gnarls Barkley.

3. A lot of my favourite bands - from Slayer to Metallica to Sepultura to Mudvayne to The Killers to Electric Six to Green Day to whoever else...and for as little as possible, since I'm broke and like someone else said, I'd only make them sound bad! :D

4. I would say Queen, but I'd rather pay an innumerable sum to see Freddie Mercury alive once more, John Deacon to be back, and all playing together again. :(

5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    $0.00, they'd think I'm a hack anyway.

6. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Y'know, much as it'd be fun to play with my musical heroes, it would seem so much like...well, like prostitution to have to pay for the priviledge, that I'd have to pass at the offer.

Now, I'd probably waive my fee for a chance to perform with Peter Gabriel, or King Crimson, or Yes, or Ornette Coleman, or Ronald Shannon Jackson, or (as long as we're fantasizing) Miles Davis or Frank Zappa. But I wouldn't pay those guys one red cent just so I could climb onstage with them.

On the other hand, I'd probably pay some exorbitant fee for actual prostitution with a well-known actress or three, so that tells you where my financial priorities are.

7. pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    By the way... it'd be for charity purposes... you wouldn't pay them... I like your priorities :)

8. I'd like to free Geddy Lee up for keyboard/vocal duties for a set.

:cool:

:bassist:

...how much??? Couldn't be much, as I'm pretty much BROKE...

:(

9. I wouldn't.

10. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    $0. If I have to pay, then they would cease being my heroes. :bassist:

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I don't know that I have any "Heroes" I'd dig deep to jam with but,
    I have a couple of dead friends I'd give anything to play just one more gig with.

12. pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore

Hats off man for the great thought

13. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'd much rather pay for a lesson & then just pick their brains and try to learn as much from them as i can. If Ray Brown was still alive, i'd be willing to pay up to about $200-300 for an hour lesson with him. I feel like that experience would be amazing.

As far as bands-no thanks. It'd be cool, but maybe as part of a contest [e.g. enter to win a chance to play a tune w/]. Still-i'd rather just talk to those guys about what they do & their philosophies & approaches.

14. steve21

steve21 Banned

I wouldn't really wanna play with my heroes. They're my heroes for a reason, not really my peers.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, the general reply (which I back), nobody wants to do it. I'd love to jam with Can back in the day.

It's bands like Can that make the think I was born in the wrong era.

16. pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Yep... it seems nobody would it ! I'm admittingly surprised, I'd not do it myslef becuase I'd screw it up, but I know I'm not as good player as I'd like to!

17. It just seems like such a "wannabe" thing to do-

Like those "rock and roll fantasy camps." I'd only pay for the one that Homer Simpson went to. And only if all the rock stars would chase me around in a flame spurting devil-head-mobile.

18. pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Yeah... it is a bit of wannabe thing ! :) maybe we should change it to a private rehearsal/clinic/lesson whatsoever...

anyway... seen that episode of Simpson... funny. I recall when everybody runs towards the guitar kiosk and the guy suggests that somebody plays bass instead of guitar... :)