1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing with your old band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Mar 14, 2008.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I got a call today from a band I used to be in to sub for them tonight. Towards the end of my tenure, I got tired of the band. But since it's been a while, I'm looking forward to it.
    The wierd thing is that the songs I used to sing will be sung by someone else.

It seems that with about 90% of the bands I've ever quit or been kicked out of, I wind up playing another gig with them. I guess it can be a good thing not to burn bridges.

Anyone else?

2. Is this Black cat blues?

I think you audition for my dead band on guitar last year at some point. I have been meaning to drop by your store at some point.

Leaving bands is always weird. Jamming with them after you left is all about having fun. If it is not fun... don't do it. When you fill in for someon on a gig, you get to do the gig and not deal with BS that occurs in the bands existence. It is also can lead to other gig opportunities.

3. tommyr01

tommyr01 Simma Down Nah ! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    I completely agree with not burning bridges. In 2006 I rejoined the old band I started back in 1989. I left them in 1994, but I maintained a good friendship with the singer. I can honestly say that it is better now than it used to be. I think because of us growing up and having more life experience maybe, who knows. I'm very happy being back with them.

4. Bringing ex-players back on a sub basis has always been a good experience for me. If you are getting the call it means that the guys in the band must feel pretty good about you (or must be deeply desperate). Gives everyone a chance to reconnect, touch bass (...er, base), and remember what it was like playing together. And of course ex-members usually come in knowing all the charts... sometimes.