Playing Wooten stuff just isnt what it used to be

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thebassmuchacho, Nov 21, 2003.

1. I, just like 95 percent of all the bass players out there, am a huge victor wooten fan. I remember staying up late at night listening to bela fleck records or his first solo album and trying forevor to mimic that intensity and skill. Back then when i would run into another bassist, and they told me that they could play "me and my Bass guitar" or "you cant hold no groove", i genuinly thought that they were really good. But nowadays, with his new book out and so much word of mouth going around about out his style, people dont try to learn his style for themselves anymore, they just read an instruction booklet on how to do it and then they copy. Dont get me wrong, i think that book is by far one of the biggest things this year(even bigger than the third lord of the rings), but i just think that bieng able to play his stuff is starting to lose its appeal. What do yall think?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    could don't by chance go to berklee do you?

I'm going in the spring, two of my friends are there now, guitarists, one of them(a huge fan of vic's) said he went through the practice rooms one day and of the basses all he heard was victor wooten songs, and jaco songs.

I learned all the wooten songs I know by ear, but every time I was never very particular how I learned it, just got the sense of the song, and what not, worked for me ya know?

there are lots of things to learn in many of his songs, they are fun too!

me and my bass guitar is such a great line. ;)

Either way, I don't think there is anything wrong with learning other people's songs, so long as that's not ALL you do.

I don't think there ever should have been an appeal to playing vic's songs....big whoop you can play someone else's material, that's easy, it's writing your own stuff that takes more.

I'd say at least.
  3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I think you need to move on to Stanley Clarke.

Seriously, it's easy to get bored with a set of sounds, start listening to

i repeat myself now ...

Frank Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Cream,
    Motown, Tchaikovsky, Tool, Tony Levin, African Drumming, Cuban Music, Salsa, Segovia, Pablo Casals !!!, every bass player needs to know Pablo..., the Attack King.

Your are a musician, and once you have the taste in your mouth, start growing your head.

There is a 400 year backlog of Western music alone you haven't begun to digest, then you can start on the global stuff.

Or, you can go back to Beave and Buddhead, and toke up, you decide. It's your life...

At my age, it scares me how much I do not know...
    I'm not bored at all, just motivated to learn
    more. Unfortunately, I will die before I come close to achieving the knowledge level I want,
    but that is what I WANT.

Play on brother.

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

When you're not right you're ____ robot

Coming to NE GTG
    or else I am sending a Possee for u
    PM me, will be up in the spring

back to your thread:
  5. Actually good call, i do go to berklee college of music. Your right, all the bassists here do is play jaco and victor wooten. I was amazed that when i jammed with any of them, they couldnt do thier own thing, they could play the technical vic stuff, but when it came to thier own solo, the slap wasnt happenin. Im a huge fan of vics, but ive never really learned any of his songs, i just learned some(alot) of his technique and now i use it in my own way. Ive found that i can impress and be alot more musical doing my own thing then just playing a bunch of vics. ( i said i never really learned any vic songs, but i did learn me and my bass guitar because youre right, that line is too good to not learn)
  6. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    The music which most inspires my bass playing often doesn't even have a bass player.

It's when I'm away from my bass, when I get a new idea in my head and just have to get it through my hands and onto my instrument.

I like Victor's and Jaco's stuff, but sorry... I just never feel inspired to play the same things they play. A part of me feels that it cheapens the unique contributions of the original stuff. In Victor's case, it's not like he's dead or anything. I've read how so many people copped Jaco's style that Jaco couldn't find work anymore. Part of that was because he was often difficult to work with, so why hire him when they can hire someone else who can play enough like him?

That isn't the case for Victor. I'd feel something like an Elvis impersonator if I publicly played Victor's stuff. I'd rather be known for playing my own style instead of being known as a "[insert bass player's name]-style player."
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I've never saw a reason to learn Vic's songs note for note, I just tried to learn the techniques he utilizes and incorporating them in my arsenal.
  8. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Just stay in the pocket and you'll be fine.:oops:
  9. i dont think its wrong to learn other peoples styles and songs, just as long as your playing doesnt consist of only playing thier songs. People should learn someone elses style or idea and integrate it into thier own style and idea. Your own style really comes from stealing a bunch of others peoples and then developing your own "flava" in it.
  10. i dont see how learning their songs is any different than what cover bands do. i do see your point though, that the technique should be the focus, not just learning their songs note by note. like for instance, im playing a version of amazing grace i based on victor wootens version in the school talent show (see thread). i do the harmonic melody and root note bass line and all, but its not note for note or anything. i just took his idea and do my own thing with it. its fun and a learning experience all in one.
  11. Those people are the most annoying thing on earth. I always see people who are really into wooten and all they do is the double thumb slap stuff *nonstop*. It gets old VERY fast. I wish more people would atleast rip off his melodic ideas because there's a lot of great stuff that the majority of people don't seem to care about. I've been fortunate enough to not run into too many jaco clones haha. He was great but it just doesn't seem to happen when other people try to do it.
  12. Heh, yeah. I do a lot of cloning at know, playing victor's and jaco stuff, some marcus miller, stanley clarke, patitucci, hamm, claypool (like every primus song),etc. But when i jam with my band or do solos for jazz or fusion, i do use some of the techniques (like victors thumb thumb pop triplets) and some slap chordal stuff like miller, but I never do that exclusively..maybe for a 4 second lick or something...I usually just use their melodic ideas and because i know how to play their songs so naturally now, the melodies just come to me in the solos and i make new ones up. I did a freddie the freeloader solo in which i started out with some marcus slap stuff, then some made up slap stuff (just popping some jazzy solo and doing some blues line with the slap to keep the groove without a drummer), then i went and did some coltrane type thing with fingerpicking in the high register, then turned that into some wes montgomery-ish smooth melodies, then cut the tone and did some slide and jaco-ish stuff but with a more jazz feel (not funky i mean). I also write songs for my band, and although it sounds nothing like primus, i use some of the melodic ideas and percussions...anyway, the point was that although i just learned other people's stuff solely for a while, as soon as you start making yourself write your own stuff and experiment, you'll see that it does come in handy to know how they made a song flow AND their technique, then you kinda mold your own style. Anyway, peace, and i saw PRIMUS!!! Great concert!!! Right upfront of les!
  13. "I dont see how learning what they do is any different from what cover bands do"....Hello?
    I get paid for playing Black Magic Woman and Crossroads. I would'nt get a cent for playing Portrait of Tracy.