Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassbassbaby, Dec 22, 2001.

1. bassbassbaby

bassbassbaby

Jan 3, 2001
    i just want to know how i can learn to play faster

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The 3 P's.
    Practice, practice, and.....oh yeah, practice.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Welcome to Talkbass.:D

This is posted in the wrong forum.;)

4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    practice

use all of your fingers with your fretting hand.you will gain lots of speed.

on your other hand try to use atleast 2 fingers.

5. nose grease!

and practice.

but mostly nose grease;)

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    turn on your metronome to a pace that your comfortable with at first, then practice scales/arpeggios and things of that nature, when you have that tempo down solid, speed up the metronome a bit more, and continue doing scales, etc. again when you have that tempo down solid, speed up the tempo on the met a bit more and repeat. Practice doing this in 1/16 notes, triplets, etc.

Also play with a very light touch and turn up your amp, let it do the work.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ditto on what cassanova said. I was about to write exactly the same thing.

Also, listen a lot to fast players like jaco, flea, etc. Even if ya can't play the stuff they do, you'll find yourself wanting to emulate them until one day you can. At least that's my story - I say this because while playing just about an hour ago, I realized that I can now play jaco like 16th notes that 2 or 3 years ago were an impossiblilty. I remember hearing things he did and just wishing I could do similar stuff. Now I can.

8. Don't practice!... well, almost. Just don't try to push it too hard. You might end up developping bad habits.

Not only practice at slow pace with a metronome, but also play so lightly that you can barely hear the notes. That's when you hear all the sounds you do that need to be eliminated. Find what creates the unwanted sound and find a solution (or ask a question here).

ALWAYS have your plucking ready to play. Say you use three fingers: while you pluck with a finger, the other two MUST be on a string, a different string for each.

Same goes for left fingers. Say you play with ring finger, all other fingers should be backing it up (not on a different). Never put the pinky or ring behind the neck (i've seen that!).

When you play, as oppose to practice, forget about everything.

For flawless technique, visit www.garywillis.com

Erick

9. Can I just say that there is really no definate right or wrong. You gotta develop your own technique,

Everyone has a different one.

Having said that there are things that are wrong, putting you fingers behind the frettboard is a good example of a wrong.

Spelling fretboard wrong is another good example.