1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Kooasik, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Kooasik

Kooasik

Mar 26, 2013
    I have been playing for a while now, and it seems that when i play especially when i slap and pluck that i can jam how i want, but only using open strings. I have no rythym or real sound when i try to do things using the frets. I seem to have hit a wall on this, i can do pretty fine when i look up tabs or whatever on other musicians music but when im just doing it off the top of my head i seem to be having problems, has anyone else had any problems like this or can give me any advice as to how to get past this?

2. anonymous111813

anonymous111813 Guest

Mar 1, 2011
    Try to transpose what you are playing in A or E to G, C...

It is much harder since your left hand is much busier, but it is worth it.

3. Off the top of my head -- no need for that, I rely on fake chord sheet music and follow the chord progression listed on the sheet music. That gives me the basic structure of the song, the other chord tones beside root on 1 flesh out my interpretation of the song. Yep, gotta have a little theory to add your interpretation.
    • Major triad R-3-5
    • Minor triad R-b3-5
    • Diminished R-b3-b5
    • Maj7........ R-3-5-7
    • minor 7.... R-b3-5-b7
    • Dominant 7 R-3-5-b7
    • Diminished 7 R-b3-b5-b7 for the m7b5 chords.
    Being able to add your interpretation does not come over night, but, grows through the use of fake chord sheet music and of course the more you play the better you get.

The Internet is full of fake chord sheet music, and of course most of it is some ones' interpretation of the song, i.e. not exactly as the original songwriter wrote. Not being exact never was a problem with me. If it sounds good, then it's good. After awhile, you can start the editing process and change to what you feel is correct.

But, you have to start somewhere. I recommend fake chord sheet music become a friend. Google - Guitar Chords, "Name of the Song" the comma and quote marks help in the search. So the chord listed is too fancy for you. Take F7(b9) for example. Start on the left hand side of the chord then moving right - get as much of the chord into your bass line as the song will allow before it goes off and leaves you.
    • Root for F is just R or the F note
    • F triad is R-3-5
    • F7 is R-3-5-b7
    • F7(b9) R-3-5-7-b9
      F7-9a.k.a.: F7b9, F7(add b9)
      intervals: 1,3,(5),b7,b9
      notes: F,A,(C),Eb,Gb Notice the 5 is optional.
    Roots work, roots and fives work better, still have room throw in the 8, still have room see if you can get some of the 3's and 7's in there. Point of interest I never go higher than the 7's and leave the higher notes to the other guys. I get the bottom end and let the other guys worry with the top end 9's, 11's and 13's.

Good luck.