1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playstation 2: what accessories to buy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JimS, Dec 3, 2003.

1. I want to get my boys (ages 9 and 12) a Playstation 2 for the holidays and I'm not sure which accessories to buy--memory cards, wireless controllers-- and I'm a bit leary of sales help because they are often commission driven. What would you suggest? They won't be networking or doing on-line gaming. They are into Xtreme sports so I know some Tony Hawk and SSX3 is a must have.

Here's a link to the PS2 stuff at BestBuy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...08125&id=cat08186&navLevelAcc=3&type=category

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    1. Extra Dual-Shock Controller
    2. at least 2 mem-cards
    3. S-video/audio cable (If you TV has an S-video connection)
    4. Madden 2004
    5. Soul Caliber 2
    6. Best Buy replacement plan(you will need it)
    7. Stand (allow you to stand the PS2 upright, which aids in cooling)
    ...or buy an X-Box. Since GTA:VC came out on the X-Box, I haven't played the PS2 very much.

3. you should be set with just buying an extra controller (one comes with the PS2) and two memory cards. hope they enjoy it man, i love mine!

oh yeah, i forgot about one that i hope to get soon: the portable LCD screen that clips on top of it. these things are great fun for road trips and such (they have a car adapter and such) and if you guys travel much im sure they would love to take their ps2 with them. just a thought, good luck.

4. Thanks!

There are several different memory cards offered? They seem similar. Any major differences?

5. well, i have only used the official sony memory cards, but i would guess they all work the same.

another thing about the lcd screen, instant portable dvd player :D

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Some of the 16mb non-Sony cards require the installation of special software to get full usage. I didn't buy any of those; reminds me of the early computing days.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    That's the kind my parents got me when I got a PS2. AVOID THESE LIKE THE PLAGUE! They somehow lose thier formatting, and the instructions they give you on how to reformat them don't work. I have lost everything I've had saved on two different memory cards. Two of my friends have also had this problem, so from now on, I ONLY buy Sony memory cards.

I believe Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 and SSX Tricky are on the Greatist Hits list. $19.99 each. Gran Turismo 3 is, and it's an awesome game. I'd recommend that, but GT4 should be out in January.

8. Are the wireless remotes worthwhile?

Are they good or fraught with problems/gremlins?

9. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

I had a lot of problems with the cheap ones.