Playstation 2: what accessories to buy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JimS, Dec 3, 2003.

1. I want to get my boys (ages 9 and 12) a Playstation 2 for the holidays and I'm not sure which accessories to buy--memory cards, wireless controllers-- and I'm a bit leary of sales help because they are often commission driven. What would you suggest? They won't be networking or doing on-line gaming. They are into Xtreme sports so I know some Tony Hawk and SSX3 is a must have.

Here's a link to the PS2 stuff at BestBuy:
  2. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    1. Extra Dual-Shock Controller
    2. at least 2 mem-cards
    3. S-video/audio cable (If you TV has an S-video connection)
    4. Madden 2004
    5. Soul Caliber 2
    6. Best Buy replacement plan(you will need it)
    7. Stand (allow you to stand the PS2 upright, which aids in cooling)
    ...or buy an X-Box. Since GTA:VC came out on the X-Box, I haven't played the PS2 very much.
  3. you should be set with just buying an extra controller (one comes with the PS2) and two memory cards. hope they enjoy it man, i love mine!

oh yeah, i forgot about one that i hope to get soon: the portable LCD screen that clips on top of it. these things are great fun for road trips and such (they have a car adapter and such) and if you guys travel much im sure they would love to take their ps2 with them. just a thought, good luck.
  4. Thanks!

There are several different memory cards offered? They seem similar. Any major differences?
  5. well, i have only used the official sony memory cards, but i would guess they all work the same.

another thing about the lcd screen, instant portable dvd player :D
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Some of the 16mb non-Sony cards require the installation of special software to get full usage. I didn't buy any of those; reminds me of the early computing days.
  7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    That's the kind my parents got me when I got a PS2. AVOID THESE LIKE THE PLAGUE! They somehow lose thier formatting, and the instructions they give you on how to reformat them don't work. I have lost everything I've had saved on two different memory cards. Two of my friends have also had this problem, so from now on, I ONLY buy Sony memory cards.

I believe Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 and SSX Tricky are on the Greatist Hits list. $19.99 each. Gran Turismo 3 is, and it's an awesome game. I'd recommend that, but GT4 should be out in January.
  8. Are the wireless remotes worthwhile?

Are they good or fraught with problems/gremlins?
  9. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

I had a lot of problems with the cheap ones.