Playstation 3

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, May 16, 2005.

1. Attached Files:

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It will be hard to stack game boxes on the curved top.
  3. and what makes this valid ? if your going to post something at least have proof
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Why does it come with a boomerang? Is that some special promotion?

brad cook
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

6. Does he need to post the radius of the console's top coupled with the area of the contact patch produced by a game sitting on said which is in turn coupled with a field study where 100 people (from various backgrounds) attempted to put a game on top of the console 100 times each... the results of which are bound and mailed to our house for review before he is allowed to post? Even then, I'm not sure he would have provided a statistically significant field study. He'd probably need more participants. Plus, who's to say what kind of people should be included? He would need to match the population sample with the demographic most likely to purchase the system. I bet if they were all gamers, the results would be skewed. This is getting quite complicated. I think we ought to just accept his assertion that a curved top makes the stacking of games more difficult than it needs to be.

7. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    lmao , good point , i guess stack 'em on the side as in the first pic. ;)
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Of course the bottom isn't curved, so maybe, like the PS1, this one will perform better when turned upside down, then you can stack to your hearts content, the curved base will add a little wobble factor but I think it'll be negligible, and ultimately just part of the fun.

That said, a smart 3rd party vendor would make a killing designing a little curved base tray to enable you to stack games ontop of the box. :p
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Nice pics... but I'm holding out for screen shots. Any of those floating around?
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Never owned a PlayStation, why did it work better upside down?
  11. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The CD drives were crap and had a tendency to burn out. For some reason they burned out less when you ran the thing upside down.

PS2 had the same problem to a lesser degree. It wasn't a huge issue with retail boxes but we sure went through plenty of debug kits at my old company. Running those things 20+ hours a day for months takes its toll.

New PS3 looks cool, cooler than the new XBox actually, and the presentation showed more than the MTV commercial. They've got a list of titles confirmed so far, I don't know what MS plans as a launch title for XBox 360.

Plus they've confirmed backward compatibility, so I'm definately getting one. I've missed a bunch of cool PS2 titles that I can now pick up used and check out.
  12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    cool, thanks.
  13. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    If you drop the controller, it comes back to you. :p
  14. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I absolutely hate that all electronics these days have to be curvy. I want stackable equipment!

I do like the controller, though.
  15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I want small stuff I can hide out of site. or off site.
  16. Wow, everyones going for an all-out visual competition huh? The silver is nice and all but the curve might be annoying. The controller also looks a bit iffy. I like my PS1-2 controller, thank you very much. The backwards compatibility looks nice, and I hope the same quality games are released on it. But why can't Sony make a system that doesn't break down after a year?
  17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    That controller looks terribly uncomfortable! Wow. Awful.

I gotta say, the console certainly looks classier than the XBox 360. Now, where's Nintendo's entry?
  18. Apparently Nintendo's only showing a video clip of the system... no system, no controller, nothing. That would be disappointing.
  19. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    New for 2005