Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pleasant Surprise for me

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassis_fiendus, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Hmmm, well i started out with a new band, playing originals 6 weeks ago, two guys i have known for a while but never played with. Well they had some material already, which i came in on, kind of directing me what they wanted. But here is the good bit, all of the new stuff that we are writing, i, the bass player am writing.

I am coming up the the chords and scales - its helped my theory knowledge soooo much - the riffs, and the other guys are happy with this. There is a lot of drummer and guitarist bashing done on this board, but maybe i found two guys who are among the few good ones.

Probably won't get any replies, but i just thought i'd share.

Any other bass players out there doing the majority of writing for a band???

Bassis

2. gdflash

gdflash

Dec 12, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have been trying to take over the writing duties from our singer/rhythm guitarist. The band is sick of playing his whiny pop punk bullsheet songs about his girlfriend :rolleyes: The problem is that he is an abominable guitar player, and cannot play anything I write ( or that anyone else in the band comes up with )....so we are stuck playing down to his level. Yeesh...how frustrating.
    I am even getting resistance from our lead player - won't play the stuff the way it is written. This is less of a problem, though, because he is a fine guitar player and a lot of the stuff he comes up with works better than the stuff I had in mind...but every once in a while I just wish he would play it the way I wrote it :mad: Anyway, glad you are having more success than I ... gotta go to band practice now....:D

3. I'll be testing the songwriting waters in a little while. Songwriting took a backseat for a while but we may try again. I'm hoping to just write basslines and critique new song ideas and leave the bulk of the creative process to someone else. However, when the others hit a mental block, I should pitch in some ideas to get the creative juices flowing again.

4. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    I wuv my guitarists! One guitarist and I write all the songs either with each other or alone. And if the guitarist makes a song without me he has me make a bassline.

Plus he always wants me to do that "whackity whackity slappity slappity" thing, which is always fun :)

5. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    my guitarist does the same thing, but i dont want him writing all my lines, he dosent trust me to make a good enough one. For example, i told him i wouldent play his bassline on a particular song that he was writing, so he gave me it w/o the bassline, even though he had made one , just in case mine "wasnt good enough for him". He also likes slap bass, every time he picks up a bass, he plays a "unique" intro to higher ground.

6. this thread brings up an interesting question...our singer writes all our songs, and recently asked me to try writing songs...he thinks I'd be good at it based on my bass parts I guess. I don't play guitar, I know my way around a keyboard a little bit, but i was wondering:
    Do any of you songwriters write on your bass? If so how do you do it? I mean, do you come up with a bassline first, or do the chords come first, etc.?

7. Well since i live at college at the moment, the only instrument i have access to is my bass, so its all i can write on. Mostly i'll just muck around, till i find some interval or sound i like, find a scale and go from there, see what other chords fit with the song.

I don't really write parts for the guitar, i have ideas about what would work, but mostly i leave it up the guitarist.

Bassis