Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pleasant surprise...Rio Grande Vintage P pickups- a review!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DaveB, Nov 27, 2000.

1. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    The stock pickups on my '75 Fender P were getting a little midrangy and muddy (I guess that happens with age)so it was time for a change. I considered the usual suspects for vintage tone replacement ie: Bartolini (which I have on my Jazz - great pickups), Seymour Duncan, Fender etc. Just when I had picked Barts (again) somebody whose opinion I value recommended Rio Grande Vintage P replacement.Hmmm.... I'm very familiar with the Rios from my guitar side but Bass????
    Anyway I took the chance..they're not cheap at $135.00 Canadian.
    Since putting them in last week I have had one gig, one rehearsal, and several practice sessions> Here's my take.

These things are clear,clear,clear.The clarity cuts right across the traditional P spectrum. Clarity in the huge bottom, clarity in sparkling highs and a nicely subdued but balanced mid-range.Before I got them I was expecting clear lows but at some expense to the output.But not so. These are certainly not hot pickups but the output is at least as good as the originals.Oddly enough they sound more P than the P originals..go figure.
    I have never tried Fralins in my Basses but I have on my guitar side.I found the clarity difference the Rios make in the P are very similar to the clarity difference Fralins made to my Strat. You guys who play both will know what I mean.
    All in all a successful experiment. To my ears the Rio Grande bass pickups live up to the rep that their guitar pickups have had for awhile.

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Thanks for the review. I have a Fender '57 Reissue on the way in with Rio Grande replacement pickup in it and I'll let you know what I think of it! Should arrive today!

3. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Dude - Thanks - I'm looking forward to comparing my experience with these pickups to yours.