1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please advice for fretless neck wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rafunk, May 20, 2012.

1. rafunk

rafunk

Sep 18, 2005
    Valencia, Spain
    Hi,

One year ago I build this beauty:

VI1013.gif

VI1024.gif

She have a Warmoth Black Korina body and maple/ebony Usa Custom Guitar jazz bass fretless neck.

The question is that I played precison for many years, and I don't feel comfortable with the jazz neck, and I want to change the neck for a P (fretless too) neck. The question is that I'm happy with the sound (it sounds huge), but I have a Tony Franklin that sounds full and rich, too, and have a maple/ebony neck.

So I wonder to replace the neck by a neck with different woods. I'm quite decided by pau ferro for fingerboard, wich wood can do well with it? Like wenge, bubinga, purplehearth,....looking aesthetics too, when it's possible.

Thanks for reading!

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    If you like the way its sounds now, why not just have USACG make you another with the same woods in a P string spacing?

3. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Mine is mahogany and ebony. Very warm, but still crisp and clean.