Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please advise best way to split signal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arranger, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I have two 8ohm cabinets (1x10 rated 300W and 1x15 rated 200W) two different preamps (SansAmp RBI and BBE BMax SS) and a conventional two channel power amp (Samson Servo 550 215w/ch @ 8ohm, 300w/ch @ 4ohm, or bridged 550w/ch @ 8ohm - NOT bridgable into 4ohm) and an active US Fender Jazz-4. Which method is the best-performing and cleanest/safest way to get the most tone and volume out of the combination for an outdoor gig? There will be a house PA for my use, if needed.

1. Use a splitter from radio shack to divide the preamp signal into two seperate signals, one for each side of the power amp which will drive each cabinet seperately?

2. Use the DI out of the SansAmp RBI into an XLR-1/4" adapter into one side of the power amp into one cab, and use the 1/4" output of the SansAmp RBI into the other side of the power amp for the other cab and have a true bi-amp rig, with seperate level controls for each channel on the SansAmp as well as the power amp?

3. Use the DI out of the BBE BMax into an XLR-1/4" adapter into one side of the power amp and the 1/4" main output of the BBE BMAx into the other side of the power amp for the other cab and have a true bi-amp rig, with seperate level controls for each channel on the power amp only?

4. Use a Radio Shack splitter to divide my Bass Guitar signal into the two different preamps and run each into a seperate channel of the power amp to the seperate cabs to have two distinctly different preamp signals?

5. Should I look for a power amp with a better configuration or capability for the overall application so I can daisy chain the cabinets down to 4ohm - Particularly if I have to reserve one of the XLR's for going to the snake?

2. Are you wanting to run both pre-amps? The only benefit to running two pre-amps would be the ability to have two completely different sounds (pre 1-> amp ch 1-> cab 1... pre 2-> amp ch 2-> cab 2) from each cab. BTW, this is not bi-amping. You would plug in your bass to whichever pre you choose and use its "effects send" to run a signal into the "effects return" of the other pre or use an A/B/Y box to split the signal from your bass into the two different pre-amps input sections. It's not going to increase power handling, volume, etc... Personally I would pick the pre-amp you like best, run it into the amplifer, and run one channel of the amp into each speaker cabinet. Nice and simple!

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Even though it does not support bridged mode, will the Samson Servo work in parallel mono? That is where you feed one channel with the source signal and the amp delivers the signal to both power sections. That would solve the probelm right off.

Otherwise, you could make or have made an XLR splitter or XLR Y cable to split the output from your preamp to both channels. I make these and they are pretty simple. You lose 3db with the split, but it is a drop in the bucket and shouldn't be a problem.

Those are the obvious solutions, along with splitting your bass signal with a A/B/Y box and using both preamps... kinda overkill but it would work.

Pete