Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please, advise me.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by punkfunkfreak, Dec 4, 2002.

1. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Right. Long post warning.

Mods, if this is in the wrong place, im sorry in advance. Feel free to move it.

Right. I am, at the moment. Lost. My life is kinda...um...blank. I have NO qualifications from my secondary school, as i was in hospital through my GCSE's. And i decided not to re-take them as i was getting my head into this web design job my sister has so thoughtfully got me addicted to ;).But i dont want to sit in front of a computer the rest of my life.

Currently im off work, waiting for my office to move. So ive been on talkbass ALOT (as you have all probably noticed) and Ive been looking at courses for bass guitar, the 1 year diploma courses.

One has caught my eye, its called basstech and its run by a company called powerhouse. It needs no qualifications to join, is run by some of the BEST bassists in the country and its "hall of fame" includes students such as Nick fyffe, skunk anansie, the guy from radiohead, the guy from dire straits...and alot of other respected musicians of whom i cannot remember :oops:. Also the tutors include mr.manring and other great musicians all of whom i respect IMMENSELY.....BUT...problem. It costs nearly £2000 for a 10 week fulltime certificate course. And nearly £5000 for a year diploma course (my prefered choice after looking at the prospectus, this course covers EVERYTHING....from livework to sight reading, ear training, production, money stuff....everything. Most students go straight from this course into session work. After having joined the course with no theory knowledge :eek: ). Both courses are fulltime. I have looked at the part time courses, but i think i have the commitment it takes to do the fulltime. Its not like i dont play bass everyday anyway.

So. Heres one question. Is this course a good choice for me? i want to be able to live from playing bass one day. However i can, if that be as a session artist or in a rock band. I want bass to be another skill to add to my roster.

Another. How will i pay for this? i dont know. I dont know if i could secure a loan or anything, im very undereducated about how the education system works (to excuse the pun). I could get the money myself, at a stretch, but i was wondering if anyone else has managed to get loans e.t.c in the UK for this kind of course? Even with no previous qualifications.

thankyou for any help you can give me.

2. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    *employs post gathering tactic A7.2b*

*ahem*

THEORY SUCKS BALLZ YO

*sits back and waits*

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I don't know the answer to your questions... But I am hereby, wherefore, therefore, and suchas now subscribed to your thread for my reading pleasure. I think that's an awesome sounding school and I hope you get in!! :)

4. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    it is, the prospectus blew me away....i just need to see if mr.Blair has a spare £5000....id better catch him before the fire brigade does ;)

5. drivers

drivers

Dec 4, 2002
    Follow your passion and you won't be disappointed. You might want to talk to the school and see if they have any advice on loans, etc.

6. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    come on, someone must have hit a wall like this before...if you all have so much experience then just share some! ;)

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Hey there punkfunkfreak, I've looked at those very courses myself.

I'm 28, in full-time work so there's no way I can afford a full time course wrt time or money...

...but I'm planning to take a ten week part-timer next year sometime. I think the courses, facilities and curriculum look really good.

I guess if you're 16/17 then you're probly still living at home, if so, then get on this full-time course before you start having to deal with rent/mortgage/bills for real. Sorry, if that's partonising, it's not supposed to be! :) - I just wish I'd have had the good sense to focus on education and music when I was younger and didn't have to concentrate so much on earning a living.
    God, that makes me sound bitter doesn't it?! - I'm not in the slightest, but sometimes I do wish I worked harder at music from a younger age instread of getting wrecked all the time ;)

I would say that taking a full-time course from scratch might be a little unwise. Obviously you play everyday, but playing everyday is very different from cramming your head full of theory and playing then going home and practicing every day as well!

Why dont you do a part time course to start with and see what you think?
    Then if you like it you can continue and if not you've only spent a few hundred quid.

Also, I have no diea what sort of level you're at muscially, but from the sound of these courses (curriculum etc) they are fairly full on. If you're new to theory I think it'd be a real stretch.

If I start a course I'll post or PM and let you know what the place/teachers/lessons etc are like... please do the same if you do enrol?

:)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I know 3 or 4 people who are doing a full-time Jazz course at Chichester college and I'm sure they're getting some sort of grant - I'll see one of them on Saturday night - it may be a loan - if I remember, I'll ask him how he got it.

9. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Bruce: thanx alot man, appreciated.

Howard: yup, i was thinking the same thing. A year full on seems a bit much straight off after a year away from fulltime education of ANY sort.

You dont patronise me dude, I am moving out soon, but by then ill be allowed into some of my funds. (ive been making from 200 - 800 a week for about 3 months, so ive got a bit stashed). And i know what you mean about wishing youd had started earlier. ;)

I reccomend ordering the prospectus, they spent £2 sending me an amazingly detailed analysis of the course and this is a good pointer that they dont just want the money but actually want to teach :)

Theres an open day in january sometime....ill be there. Ill PM you if i go and well see if i spot you. :)

regards..

10. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Oh, i was just thinking about the part time course, but they do cost about £300 for ten hours (one hour a week).

I cant help but feel id be paying ALOT of money for ten hours.

I think id rather do ten weeks fulltime, then they give you a discount after that if you wish to go onto the full years diploma. And if after ten weeks fulltime you change your mind, you still get a certificate at least. With the part time course you get nothing to take home (apart from what you learned, obviously, but you know what i mean ;))

hmmmmm perplexing.

11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    800 a week - **** that's good money! stick with and build up your bass collection!

Hmm, i'm sure it was £300 for 10 weeks - TWO hours a week? - still a lot of money, but you can take away a lot from a course like that.

open hmm, pm me nearer the time and i might meet you there innit. i shoudl check the place out before spending the cash really.

Oh and, grow up sonny ;) or some such crap..

12. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    hehe, yessir.

The money is fragile though. Sometimes i go for a week or two with nothing. then a little....then it all comes in one big wad....then nothing again for a month....

thus i cant really get a grant from the bank. Ive been looking at student loans,....ive always been against spending half a ton of taxpayers money tho....hmm

13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Well you have my blessing to spend my fairly significant portion of it if you promise to 'make it' some decent bass lines.

Yes, I would pay more tax to rid the world of lame music :D