Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please Advise: Older Ampeg SVT Cab Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wzrdofgz, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Please Advise: Older Ampeg SVT Cab Speakers
    Looking @ buying an older Ampeg 810 SVT Cab. Speakers are different..well 2 are & 6 are the "same." Can anybody tell me if any look original & if so which, the 2 or the 6. BTW, what's the going rate for these on the used market? Thanks!
    :ninja:

Attached Files:

2. godraphonic

godraphonic

Jun 6, 2005
    Hard to tell from that thumbnail, but the top two drivers don't look original. too much cone to the doped edge.

Prices vary a lot depending on condition, I would offer $200 tops for that considering the mismatched drivers. becareful to make sure they are 32 ohm speakers. You can sometimes find original CTS or eminence vintage drivers on ebay.

3. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005

It's not original...save your self the trouble and problems...pass on this

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You're looking at the wrong end of the drivers. The top two look newer due to the color, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them. Being newer there's an even chance that they're better than the originals. The only way to know is to get a look at their backsides. Even the impedance is no big deal. The original used 32 ohm drivers, paralleled to 16 ohms per pair. You accomplish exactly the same load by series wiring two 8 ohm drivers.

5. here's the other fridge i'm considering..looks about as old but newer speakers & painted? thanks. pennies for your thoughts. :help:

Attached Files:

6. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Still the wrong end of the horse. The only way to know what's in there is to pull them out and look at the backside of the drivers.

7. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005

Bill, they still use 32 ohm speakers. And if you matched parallel and series speakers, would you get a different power /speaker response?

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    An ohm is an ohm. The speakers wouldn't sound the same due to differences in the voice coil inductance but at least as far as power matching is concerned they'd be OK, assuming whoever put them in knew how to wire them correctly, which I know is a big leap if even Ampeg doesn't always get it right.