Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please advise on 2 bass effects...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JayAmel, Aug 1, 2005.

1. EBS Bass IQ

22.2%
  2. Electro-Harmonix Doctor Q

22.2%
  3. Electro-Harmonix QTron+

33.3%
  4. MXR Bass Ato IQ

22.2%
  5. Electro-Harmonix Big Muff USA

77.8%
  6. Any other suggestions welcome... THANKS !

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Houngawa folks !

After some infructuous searches, I am there exposing my dilemmas :

1. "Mu-Tron" effects. Hesitating between EBS Bass IQ (179 €), Electro Harmonix Doctor Q (60 €), Electro Harmonix QTron+ (179 €) and MXR Bass Auto Q (189 €).

2. Bass drive pedal. My all-time fetish favourite is the Electro Harmonix Big Muff US (75 €), but beinz essentially a fuzz bass I'm afraid it won't match what I expect from it : using driven bass when the guitarist of the band plays solo (exemple the rhythm scheme on VH'solo in Beat it, which needs more balls in the background).

For the drive point, wouldn't I be wiser to swap my Ashdown MAH300 for an ABM500 and fill the driven tone needs ?

What would your advices be ?

Many thanks,
    Jay

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Can't quite tell you which is best for you, but the two pedals which I can't bear not to have on my board are the Big Muff and Doctor Q.

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    The Big Muff is the standard from which all other fuzzes are measured. That being said, it doesn't mean that it is the pedal for you. In that light I agree with tplyons.

Commonly, a pedal that allows a wet/dry mix or level will help solve the problem of the bass "cutting though". There 's a lot of pedal that do this- both that I use do it (MXR M-80 and the Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz). The Fulltone also does, and seems to be what most like.

Ted

4. go and try them out, because what we use ain't necessarily what you want. Plus, it's heaps of fun!!!

For the record, I use an EBS BassIQ and a homemade and modified big muff pi.

I've got nothing against the EH stuff except that it's big compared to the EBS. The MXR stuff I haven't been generally impressed with, but this is one that I've not tried yet.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Jean you really need to try them out. If it was me spending your money, I'd get the BAssIQ and do the Ashdown swap to get the pre-amp tube drive.

6. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Yep the BassIQ is a good'un. It is however the only one in your list I've used. Being a bit of filter junkie tho I've also got a meatball, a pigtronix and a bassballs. The pigtronix is very good too, but different. I think they have a couple of sound clips on their site. I've had 3 ebs pedals die so as far as reliablity is concerned I'm not impressed. I don't know how I could have mistreated them, they're built like a brick.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah, Jean, if you're spending the the BASSIQ money, dont forget to look out for Pigtronix, they do have euro distribution now. I cant for the life of me remember the company tho :(