Please advise on my speaker size/number choice...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bman, Aug 15, 2003.

1. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I'm looking at picking up a GK 400rb head to go into an Avatar 210.
    Price is an issue.

Will the 210 be enough? I know the GK is 200W, and the Avatar gets great reviews.
    Currently, it's me, a guitarist and a drummer in a garage. I'm not so much worried about volume as I am beefiness. I had an SWR WM15, and I want to move away from the 15 inch speaker. Too woofy for me.

Will having only 2 10's make it sound thin? Or do you think that might be OK, for now - with the idea I may add a 15 later.

Why might I hold out and get the 410? What would I gain?

Thank you from a life-long combo user.
  2. If you plan on up-grading/adding more cabs I would get a bigger head. The 800rb and 1001rb come to mind. The 400rb is going to be really under-powered for driving anything more then a single 15 or single 2x10. Even then you'll only achieve moderate volumes without clipping. I would go with a bigger head first. Just my $0.02.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    210 will sound thinner, expect to compensate with some bass knob action. I agree 200w is thin, so learn and pay attention to when you are distorting the amp and don't play any length of time with distortion, you can quickly blow speakers that way. plan on a bigger head, at least 350w. adding another 210 would probably be a good thing, but that would spread the 200w even thinner, but normally just adding more speakers will ALWAYS increase volume quicker than more watts.

If you have the 210 already. I'd recommend saving up for a 350w+ head. if you still have the wm-15 you could use that with the 210s for now.

the 15" speaker is 176.625 sqin.
    the 210" speakers are 157.0 sqin.
    the 210 will move VERY slightly less air, so volume, not bass, should be just a TINY bit less.
  4. The amount of air moved is the displacment of the driver, not just the cone area. If the 10" pair has a longer Xmax (doubtful), they can move more air volume than a single 15.

Piston Area (SD) * Displacment (Xmax) is the formula.
  5. LDV

Aug 2, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I own a GK400 and used it for years with an SWR 2x10. I basically agree with the other folks that responded to your question...the GK400 struggled to power my 2x10 (a 4 ohm cab). I lived that way mostly because I didn;t know any better and the gigs I was doing were not very demanding (music styles, venues..etc). An extra 100 watts is a good idea.