1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please Advise on Truss Rod Adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Third Rock, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Third Rock

Third Rock

Jun 7, 2004
    I'm currently trying to setup my Precision Bass for the first time. The problem is that it has been buzzing on several frets on each string of the bass.

Here is what I did so far:

• First I slightly turned the truss rod counter clockwise, and let it sit overnight (I did this because I have a Dan Earliwine DVD that states to always loosen it first.)
    • After waiting 24 hours, I installed a capo on the 1st fret, and pressed the last fret of the E string. I used a feeler gauge, and measured the distance from the top of the 8th fret to the bottom of the string. It measured .025.
    • I went by Fender's setup guide, and saw the recommended distance. I then adjusted the truss rod a quarter turn clockwise, and re-tuned the bass to pitch. I installed the capo, and pressed the last fret again. This time the distance is .020.
    I will wait until tomorrow night, and measure again. I just want to make sure that I am on the right track? Also, what is most likely the problem that I am dealing with.
    Is the bass in a back bow?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if you have a .020" gap, you're not in back-bow. touching would mean back-bow.

did the rod turn smoothly, without you having to "fight" it? if so, forget the waiting overnight nonsense and turn it until you get what you want.

i'd tighten it a bit, to maybe .012" or even .010". then, raise the saddles just until they don't buzz and you should be in the ballpark.

Andyman001 likes this.
  3. Third Rock

Third Rock

Jun 7, 2004
    The truss rod turned smoothly. I had waited overnight, because I had read somewhere online to wait 12 to 24 hours for the adjustment you made to fully take effect. I was also just being extra careful, because this is my first time doing this.

.012" is what I got out of the Fender Bass Handbook that I had read. I'm thinking within the next quarter turn clockwise, that I should be pretty close?
    I have a under the string radius gauge which I'm going to try to use to adjust the saddles. I also have a caliper.

Thanks for your advice! I'm slowly learning this setup process.

4. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Agreed with above ^ . There is no magical formula to setting up a bass. You have to work with the neck bow and saddle height to find a nice equalibrium. My truss rod on my P bass is almost all the way counter clockwise and I raise the bridge saddles from there. I also shimmed the neck using 2 business cards cut lodged into the neck cavity near the body. This allowed me to get the action lowe on frets 12+.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You're on the right track although I've always questioned the "settling" period...just go ahead and give it another tweak now. You may want to consider flexing the neck slightly to help things along, loosen the strings if you must. If you encounter an inordinate amount of resistance, stop and re-group!

Riis

6. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    zoob with the 4-year necro-bump! :D

Mike Brown likes this.
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hey, the classics never fall far from sight.

Riis

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

When zeros look like fours it's time to visit the optometrist don't you know!

Then again I'm all for dispelling the 1/8 the turn and wait a week nonsense at every opportunity as well.

9. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    right;

also, people bitch about starting new threads for the same old topics and they bitch about bumping old threads! i say the necro-bump is the better choice.

JustForSport likes this.
  10. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    Dang, I just "liked" a 4 year old thread. Is there a zombie smiley?