Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PLEASE ALL READ!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NOLA Bass, Sep 3, 2005.

1. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I hurt my back in July carrying my new rack system up stairs into our practice room (Road Ready 6 sp rack w QSC RMX1450, Ashdown pre, tuner, and power conditioner). I had a sore back the next day and went to the doctor. One thing led to another, and after my insurance co. yanked me around I had an MRI last week. We had to evacuate New Orleans and are now in Houston. Forturnately I had the MRI slides and report with me. I saw a neurosurgeon here on the 1st to finally get the results. I need two discs replaced!!! I have surgery on Tuesday. The doctor is confident I'll have good success, but here is the point of my story.

Please be careful with heavy amps. I am now paying in pain, dollars, and massive inconvenience since we are evacuated from home. Wait for a bandmate to carry heavy amps and cabs. One minute of stupidity on my part, and now I"m going to be paying for months b/c of it. Don't mess around and risk serious or permanent injury. Let my neck be a lesson to all the other tb'ers. Be safe and God Bless New Orleans, my home!!!!
    Rob Norton

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey man your prayers are with me.

To elaborate a little more on your situation, I had a gig last night and had to carry my peavey tnt up and down about 30 stairs, but I did have someone help me out with it. The bad part is getting it into my moms truck, and ya my back hurt once I got home, I'm seeing if I can get some casters and recessed handles for my tnt, if not I might be selling it to get a small light weight rig, or a smaller combo.

Not to mention I'm only 16, and if I start fartin out now god knows what shape I'll be in 20 years down the road.

-Rob

3. How much did it weigh? I don't even carry 80 lb combo amps... I have a little cart. :smug:

4. BStringJerry

BStringJerry

Aug 5, 2005
    Texas
    Welcome to Texas Rob. I'm sorry for everything that has happened to you & everyone in New Orleans. How's the rest of your family? I hope everyone made it to safety. Hang in there.
    There's a good story of a two evacuees from New Orleans at this site:
    http://www.eden-electronics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2388

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Good God, Man...as if you weren't already being put through enough as it was....

Good luck with everything. And, you are correct--take care of your back. It's the only one you've got for free....

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Exactly why I bought a Thunderfunk;)
    Man, sorry bad things are stacking up on you, I hope all goes well from here for you-chef

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Man, Get better soon, and keep us updated on the housing needs, etc. I am in the process of lightening my rig for the same reason, Neo Cabs, etc.

8. Problem with many bass players (though not necessarily anyone here) is that the only time they lift something heavy is when they move their amp. I suggest core strengthening exercises, i.e. ab crunches, leg lifts, dead lifts, etc. I've dealt with back pain before and it has been helped a lot by excercise.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    +1 ;) ;)

10. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Oh man I hope you make a full recovery. :meh:

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My back isn't nearly as bad as yours (thank goddess) but I'm miserable when it acts up. That's the only reason I don't currently own a vintage SVT. :(

One of my lead singers just had back surgery. His was successful and I hope yours is too.

12. Glad to hear your ok from the storm....
    Brother I've had 2 back surgeries and have recovered from both with pretty good success. I do take it easy though when it comes to the equipment. All it takes is a sneeze and wham, your toast.

God Bless and my prayers are with you and your family.

13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I overexerted my back a lot when I was young and foolish. About 5 years ago I helped a buddy move a fridge from a basement up some very steep stairs. My back hurt but I didn't think anything of it. The next morning I couldn't stand up straight. It got better as the day went on.

I went about two years where I couldn't stand up straight in the morning for the first hour or so. I would also get random piercing pain for short periods of time.

It is gone now, but I am much more careful about my back.

I sold my TNT for that reason. Way too heavy and only one handle on top. Getting it up and down from the basement completely wiped me out. Every Peavey combo I have ever seen has been heavy, and every one of them only has one handle on top. Grrrrr.

14. Hope all goes well. I had one disk removed and a fusion 11 years ago.
    Take care of yourself

15. Wow, sorry to hear that for your health...Hope it will get better....

16. Very nice story about gig...that man is a good one!

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Rob, I'm sorry to hear about your back, and also about your forced relocation due to hurricane Katrina.My prayers will be with you for a speedy recovery. Your hometown and it's residents are already, and will continue to be in my prayers. Best of everything to you and yours.

I've had some lower back problems since my early 20's; I used to palletize 50 to 80 lb sacks of dog food and later 100 lbs+ cases of fresh meat. I try to be very careful whenever I lift anything, especially my amp gear.

Advice to everyone: Always squat down to your gear, keep your back as straight as possible, and lift with your legs. Also, don't twist while you're carrying a load; shift your feet instead. Try to keep your gear at waist level while you're carrying it.

- Art

18. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Along with good core strengthening may I recommend chiropractic visits to stave off unnecessary surgery for backs or carpal tunnel, arthritis etc. Sometimes we are just misaligned chronically or from a fall or stress then misuse. My chiropractor does my wrists. He was a pro pianist/organist. My wrists feel like I was born yesterday. No tension smooth range of movement. Sometimes they are tight rough or even clicky from shoulder and neck tension.

19. God bless you Rob!!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and friends!!!!

20. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Glad you checked in, Nola. I've been wondering how you've been dealing with the catastrophe. I hear you on the heavy equipment. I had one rack for a short while & quickly converted to high-power integrated amps. Bought an iAmp 800 to power a B-4, and a Thunderfunk 420 to see if all the buzz was hype (NOT!). Prayers up, dude.