1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Feb 27, 2008.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'm a man... who carries Warwick, G&L, Suhr, Genz-Benz, EBS, and Trace-Elliot :bassist:

Welcome to our new forum here on Talkbass! I'm Greg Bump, and I've been playing bass for over 25 years. Along with my guitar playing business partner (Dan Dunlap), we've owned Rocket Music for just over a year now.

Rocket Music is an independent retail store located in Blacksburg, VA. For 10 years, it had been a solid beginners shop, offering lessons, rentals, and repairs along with mainly entry level instruments and amps. Since we bought the store, the product focus has shifted to higher end gear for serious players and collectors.

Last summer, we launched our new webstore (www.rocketmusic.net), and we've had great success in the guitar world with instruments by Suhr, PRS, and G&L. Being a bass player, I'm obviously interested in seeing us branch out into the bass world... so here we are!

Please check out our site, and feel free to call or email me with any questions.

More to come soon...

2. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Welcome to Talkbass!

Marshall

3. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Thanks, Marshall. I've been lingering for quite a while, but posting only occasionally because of the CUP. I always want to recommend things that I like... but if like something, I usually carry it :)

4. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Hey Greg! Welcome to TB. I have a Peavey Cirrus 5 I bought from you guys, or from the previous owner I guess :) The setup on it was great and Rocket Music treated me well too!

5. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Thanks, Humble. If you're still (or ever) in the Blacksburg area, please stop by and introduce yourself. I think you'll love what we've done with the place.

Maybe we can start a Blacksburg TB GTG that'll rival NYC's... yeah, right!

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Welcome Greg!

7. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Hey Greg, you host it and I'll come! :D

8. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Ah, yes! Free beer makes everyone your friend. Maybe I should throw in a sixer with every Warwick bass. Three for you, three for me... everybody's happy :hyper:

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Welcome to TB. I look forward to perusing your site constantly, and maybe even drooling over a few of those skinny-stringed things.

10. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Thank, Valerus!

SoCom - I see you're a Benavente man. Our bass instructor (Cameron McLaughlin) is an endorsee for them, he's got a beautiful 4 string. Check out his band's site, he's a heck of a player.

11. Base fishin

Base fishin

Jan 16, 2008
    Roanoke VA
    Have you thought about becoming a Lakland dealer? The nearest is 3 hours away.

12. Welcome Aboard.

13. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    We definitely have Lakland in our sites down the road... and Ken Smith.

We started out by adding G&L last summer, then we spent the fall and winter beefing up our Warwick inventory. Right now we're ramping up with Suhr and bringing our G&L inventory back up. As you can imagine, that all takes time... and, more importantly, money :crying:

It'll probably be May or June before we'll be in a position to add another bass line...

Thanks for the input! Rest assured I will mention it here if/when we pick up Lakland.

14. Welcome! Absolutely love the Warwick inventory. Can't wait to watching your business grow and once I start getting a bit more leisure cash, I'll be back to have my fun looking through everything. :)

Cheers,
    Justin

15. falstro

falstro Good Bassists Don't Forget Anything

Welcome to TB. Very nice website.
    I'll try to stop by your store next time I go to Martinsville for Cup race. (There's always an excuse to spend more money):bawl:

16. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I like to think of my bass gear "spending" as "investing in me". Otherwise, my wife is 100% right - I'm just wasting a ton of money. And we can't have that, there's WAY more gear that I still need :)

Investing = :hyper:
    Spending = :crying:

Please do stop by on your way to the next race!

17. falstro

falstro Good Bassists Don't Forget Anything

Wow, great way of seeing things!:hyper: I'll start using the term "investing in me". :bassist:
    Thanks.

18. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Justin - Sorry, I completely missed your post! Thanks for the welcome message, and I'm glad ya dig my Warwick inventory. I certainly do, too.

After 10+ years on my Alembic Europa 5, I switched to a Thumb NT 5 a couple months ago. The Alembic has that "hi-fi" thing down, and it plays like a million bucks. But I've grown really fond of the Warwick growl since I bought the store... it's just got a little more character. The Thumb, in particular, really grabbed me - I love the honky-gnarly tone you get thanks to the odd pickup placement. It's not for everyone, and it may not be for me forever... but I'm digging it a lot right now.

I also really want one of the 2008 LTD Streamers, but there'd be no 'splaining that to the little lady. "But, honey, I NEED a four string" wouldn't fly :)

So here's my latest GAS... I'm going to have to cut someone a great deal on this bass just so it stops tempting me. Somebody, please, make me an offer!!