Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please assit with Ampeg cabinet connection basics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arranger, May 6, 2003.

1. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I have a few different Ampeg cabinets; two SVT-210 Pro, and one SVT-15E. They are all 8ohm and each one has two 1/4" connnections.

I really don't understand their circuitry, and I'd rather ask someone that knows than to open them up and look at the wiring. I know that I can run my twin output SVT-350H head into any two cabinets in parallel to get a 4ohm resultant load.

My question is: Would I get the identical 4ohm load by running into any one cabinet and from that cabinet into the next one? Or would that actually be 16ohms? In other words, does connecting one cab through the other still basically connect the cabinets in parallel, even though by outward appearance it might seem that they are connected in series?

Thanks for bringing me up to speed.

2. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    To the best of my knowlege....
    The process you describe is called daisy-chaining. Plugging one cabinet into the amp output and the other cab into the 2nd jack on the first cabinet.

This will give you the same 4 ohm load as plugging one cab into each (of the assumed two) output jacks on your amp.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. I know you will :D

3. I have an ampeg 810 cab with the two outputs as well. I wondered the same thing, can it be daisy chained or is it for biamping or both. Just curious.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep that's daisy chaining. And it's actually a parallel connection. So you'll get a 4 ohm load which ever way you hook em up.

5. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks, all, for your replies.

So, here's the result I'm pursuing:
    If I pick up another SVT-15E, I'll have four 8ohm cabinets.

Would it be ill-advised to hook up two cabinets directly to the two head outputs and daisy chain the other two cabinets off of the first two? In other words, connect two daisy chains to the two head outputs. Would that provide a better or more uniform sound dispersion?

Conversely, would it hurt my head? The SVT-350H has twin 8ohm outputs that when used simultaneously divide the load equally. My guess is that it's just an extra connector that's parallelled and really isn't a discrete output from true dual power power stages.

I realize that my SVT-350H is not a high power head, but it will eventually be replaced and I want to understand the load that connecting these cabinets creates before I fry a really nice head.

Of course, after I fry a really nice head we'll talk more!

6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

If the 350H head has a mono power stage you don't want to connect all four cabs to it. (Unless it is designed for a 2 ohm load.)

7. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I think you're probably right on it, BFunk. It sounds like I'd be pairing up a couple 4ohm loads to create a 2ohm overall. And I know this head won't do 2ohms. I think I'll back off of that connect.

Thanks.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I downloaded the manual and it seems to be rated at 350w at 4 ohms min. So don't connect 4 cabs - that's a 2 ohm load and that's bad for the head mkay.

You could safely run up to 2 of your 8 ohm cabs with this head. If you want to run the other 2 cabs as well, you'll need a second amp - or an amp that's designed to handle a 2 ohm load.