Please bare with the n00bie ?'s!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nate22, May 6, 2004.

1. nate22

May 5, 2004
    Hey all,

I'm completely flabberghasted(sp?) by this site..I've been playing for about 9years, but NEVER delved into the technical aspects/setup of the instrument and equipment used with it. I think I've found a new way to get distracted from my work during the day!! :hyper:

I've got a TON of questions....If someone can point me in the right direction where I can find all rudimentary information/terminology, I would greatly appreciate it!

For those looking to help a brother out directly though......... :help:

What is the difference between an amp and pre-amp?

Active and passive?

Where can I find THE most simple explanation or a complete walkthrough for learning scales? All the stuff I'm finding seems geared for people with at least a little theory background.

I've got a million and three questions..but now that I'm on the spot, seem to forget them all :confused: I'll start writing stuff down as it comes to me.

Thanks in advance guys and gals(?)!!!
  2. well, while i can't give you a straight edge answer about the actual GI stuff, I strongly suggest you check out the stickied posts at the top of this forum! and search for "scales"!

an amp is basically that - it takes the signal from your bass and fires the amplitude so that it can be audible!

a pre-amp is used to "edit" the signal before it is amplified (i think??) i.e., add bass, treble... etc...

an active bass reqiures a battery, should it be an active preamp it will change the bass' signal before it reaches any part of the amp for further equalization!
    a passive, does not require a battery.
    an easier defination would be that in an active system, the signal has bass/treble etc ADDED to it, where as in a passive, the bass is simply removed...

however, check out the amps forum!! the GI is for music theory!!! :)

welcome to TB!
  3. for scales, there's a sticky at the top of this fourm (general instruction) called "pacman's sure fire scale method"(i think) There's a lot of very useful information about scales in that thread.