Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PLEASE can someone help me change this scratch plate

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rowan_Jazz_Head, Dec 25, 2003.

1. I just got a brand new shiny MIA P bass for christmas! :) I am really happy with it, it's lovely sunburst BUT there is one problem with it, the scratch plate is white...this will have to go. I want to get a tortoise shell one for it, that is not a problem. Untill the P my main bass was a J so changing the scratch plate was as easy changing strings or something but with the P it looks like it's a bit more difficult. Can someone please give me some instructions as to how to go about it. the things that worry me having to be careful with pots and jacks and what not and also I saw on ebay the other day where someone was showing under a P scratch plate and there was some silvery stuff under where the controls are, is that gonna be there on mine? how do i get that onto the new scratch plate. thanks in advance but please help. merry christmas to all.

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Its called a pickguard silly, not a scratchplate. You wacky Britons and your wacky language.

J/K.

Take off the knobs, unscrew the bolt, unscrew the the screws, remove "scratch plate." Put new guard in position insert controls through the holes and screw them in tight, and screw the screws in. Put knobs back on. As long as the electronics are not loosy soldered are you pull on them tightly, you shouldn't have to worry about them coming loose or anything.

The foil is shielding. I think its suppose to keep the electronics from being noisy or something. I don't know much about it.

You should consider a tortoise shell pickgu, excuse me, scratchplate. That'd give it a beautiful vintage look.

Merry Christmas

~Patrick

3. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I offer a compromise to bridge the gap:

Pickplate.

4. Thanks for the help, it really is appreciated. I am definitley going with the tortoise shell, I have had a tough time choosing between Red Tortoise, Vintage Red Tortoise and '62 reissue Tortoise...I have decided to go with vintage red in the end as I have '62 on my Jazz. I am looking at my P now and am still a little unsure. Taking the control knobs off seems easy enough but what do you do about the Pots and Jack? do they come off? and how do you get the pickguard/scratchplate detached/away from them? how do you get them out? i guess my dad has a tool that can do the job. Do you rekon that there will be foil under there? my bass model is a highway one precision. and as for a scratch plate/pickguard...well I am English

OH i nearly forgot, what is a bealt that you mention?

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I meant bolt. I edited it. Just take the knobs off and you will see how truly easy this is. There is a thin bolt that hold the pot to the pickguard. You unscrew it, and push the controls into the cavity, unscrew the screws on the pickguard, and voila. Don't be the least bit intimidated.

PS. Its alot easier to do if you take the strings off. wink wink.

~Patrick

PS: now you have me GASing for a MIA P-bass in Natural. God Danget. I need a new head first.

6. MAN gas really does suck. I hve to say I feel very very satisfied with my basses at the moment. I have a MIA J in red and a MIA P in sunburst and I got a great ashdown 4 by 10 Combo (ABM series) aswell as an Ashdown 1 by 15 cab oh yeah and I also have a bass pod for all my recording/DIing needs. I literally don't have gas, I guess I will want a fretless next or that Marcus Miller 5 string...oh crap, I got gas now...merry christmas ;)

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    There is too much I want!!! A Warwick Corvette. A Marcus Miller Jazz in Sunburst, A MIA P-bass to mod, MM SUB 5. The only basses I have now are my Stingray and Jazz. Take a look at my profile and see all the past basses I've owned. But the head I need to start my rig is 1399, thought I'm sure I can get one for 1099. Man. GAS sucks.

~Patrick

8. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I did the exact same thing with my MIA P bass last year: I took off the white, um, pickguard and replaced it with a red tort one. As others have said, you'll be surprised how easy it is.

Some minor caveats about an aftermarket PG, though. The one I got didn't line up quite right. Some of the anchor screws just barely made it in straight. Also, your stock white pickguard has a notch near the neck for truss rod adjustments, correct? Don't think you'll find that an an aftermarket one. You'll either need to remove the new pickguard to make adjustments or (as I did) notch the new one yourself.
    Merry Christmas!

Tom

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Yeah, I dont think they sell direct replacements for the HW1, so you might need to take the original off, match of sketch of it and send it to a place like WD Music Products. Larry Davis will hook you up. Goto www.pickguards.com for more info.

~Patrick

PS I really want a MIA P-bass now!