1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please check my wiring: BLEND + SERIES/PARALELL JAZZ BASS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Mar 29, 2015.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    Hi!

I'm a bit of a knuckle head when it coes to electronics, so I wanted to request supervision from my elders... before I "test it" and make an uncanny mess :)

jazz blend series parallell wiring V2.

What I'm going for here is a switch for series/paralell that bypasses the blend knob when not needed, then a blend knob with no grounding.

The part I feel more insecure about is having the tone "before" the volume so they don't interact as much as with an standard jazz bass. But I might not have any idea of what I'm doing.

ANY doublecheck with really welcome :)
    I did my own diagram, so forget the awful "art"

Real Soon and LoveThatBass like this.
  2. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    It took me a minute to figure out the wiring on the switch, but assuming that the 'throws' on the switch are up and down, yes that will work.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  3. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    Thank you for the reply Jon!

Yes, the Throws are up and down :)
    Is the tone before the volume OK? Will I get what I'm looking out of it?
    Because Usually I wire the volume before the tone, and then the ton to the out jack...

Best regards, and thank you again!

LoveThatBass likes this.
  4. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah, tone before volume will work fine.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  5. The volume pot is backwards. You want the wiper terminal wired to the output, not the input.

If you are going to be doing an ungrounded blend, why not choose an M/N taper and simplify your switching to DPDT, as such:
    8295530903_ab5566168c_o.

6. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah didn't look that closely at the volume pot. Either way works; that's how Gibson's been wiring Les Pauls for years. The taper is designed for wiper to the output, so that's probably preferred.

7. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    Thank you!

IS the tone backwards too then?

8. The tone control is fine.

9. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    There was a reason for avoiding a DPDT, one I can't remember for the life of me... something to do with taking the blend out of the circuit I belive...

10. Assuming an M/N taper and disregarding the aforementioned backwards volume pot, there is no electrical difference between the two diagrams. They are exactly the same, just done in a physically different way.

11. Actually in the original diagram the blend is wired backwards. Typically, the bridge pickup is attenuated when you wind the blend control clockwise, and vice-versa of course. (When viewed from the front of the guitar, that is.) Notice that in line-6's diagram, the hots from the neck and bridge pickups go to the opposite wipers to your digram.

A DPDT switch is nice, because it means you can use a push-pull pot, and avoid drilling a hole for a toggle switch.

In the diagram that line6man has posted, the blend pot is still in the circuit, but because the wipers are connected together when in series mode, the pot has no effect. This only works with an MN pot. And only because it's not got earth wires to it.

Also, when you get your blend pot, double check (with a multimeter) which lug is which. Most will work like this, but some will have the non-resistive halves of the tracks reversed.

12. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Gonna be keeping my eye on this; parallel/series switching + blend, tone, master vol is exactly what I'm hoping to do with my Washburn T24. It has tones for each p/u, connected to the vol inputs, so I'm ditching one tone and putting the switch in its place, then replacing one of the vol pots with the blend.

I'll find out in a few days if a DiMarzio Model J long will fit the Washburn rout. If so, I'll go with all 500K pots as they suggest. Also, I saw elsewhere the value of the MN type blend pot in an ungrounded config, and it sounds like a DPDT toggle will work just fine for me (since I've got the extra hole that needs to be filled).

13. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    Does it make a difference if the Tone pot is wired as line6man Vs mine? both regarding where is it placed in the circuit (From blend in line6man vs From blend's out in mine) as well as where is the tone cap (center vs side lug)?

14. So this looks like something I could do to my OLP MM2.... it's a MM pickup, but it's wired like a jazz bass; two separate coils have their own volume currently, and then there's the passive tone. This wiring diagram would be Master Volume / Blend / Tone, with one of the pots being push/pull for the series/passive (assuming the 1st, or "neck volume" knob)?