Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please check out my new website (my band)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Just wanted to see what you all thought, and if anyone had any advice, or suggestions. This is my first real website I have built, and I used dreamweaver mx on it. I did all the art myself in photoshop as well. Thanks to Tyler Hole for helping me with the little things I screwed up, and taking care of the ftp for me, I know how to do it now!

Any comments, advice, or critisizm would be appreciated.

www.elohssa.com

Thanks!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not bad, why's your bio so short!?

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Fun and mystery :)

4. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Looks amatuer, but the right info is there...I guess.

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Oh well, I did my best.

6. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Don't get me wrong, your website could win an award compared to the first piece-o-crap website I designed, but now I get paid fairly well to design high-end sites...You are off to a great start and obviously have a creative & artistic mind.

Try these ideas, and see how they fly:

Change the font throughout the site to Ariel (every computer has it) and go down to 10 or 12 point in size, less scrolling and easier to read. Most people (other than those with sight problems) appreciate normal size text...like right here at Talkbass (nice font - nice size)

Since the frame on the left with the options doesn't need to be scrolled, you can get rid of the "grey bar" ...it will give you more space and blend the background across the screen.

Get some of your best quality shots (or take some), and digitally alter them in photoshop using the "mask" option and put slick bacgrounds behind...easy to do, and looks pro
    (here is examples)
    http://www.divashow.ca/D-PIC6.jpg
    http://www.divashow.ca/D-PIC1.jpg

We are redesigning ours right now as we have been in the studio for a few months, but our tour starts in May, have a look at how I was able to get rid of text links by creating buttons for everything, also many fans have complimented on the wide screen look we get by placing options at the bottom.

DIVA

Hope some of this helps...

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks man, I'll do some work and see what I can figure out.

8. Introvox, I noticed you said get rid of the grey bar on the left side of the screen. Only problem with that is for those who view it at 800x600 resolution would have a problem. I believe Tim must view his screen at 800x600 resolution because he said the contact link was unseen because he couldn't scrool and he is using frames. Only way IMO that there would be no problem with disabling the scroll bar for that would be if he has no spaces inbetween the links.

As for the site, yes I know he mentioned I helped him with some things, but I am actually impressed at how well it turned out. Honestly I thought it would look like crap like my earliest sites did.

If I can think of anything that would help spiffy it up (hard to think about it right now, have so much on my mind) then I will for sure shoot an IM to ya Tim. Keep up the good work man.

Peace,
    Tyler

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Tim......excellent website. I like the large fonts. Very in your face, and easy to read. Good job bro!

-Mike

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Are you the one with the Acoustic guitar.

I kid

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    On the one hand it's better than anything I have. But two little things:1. Having the logo at the top take up so much of the page and not moving when I scroll was irritating. and 2. I'm not familiar with a John Fogerty song called Leader of the Band. Are you sure you didn't mean Dan Fogelberg?

12. nice site, im guessing u made it on front page?

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    The reason it doesn't move, is because it was done with frames. This makes it so it doesn't have to reload the graphic every page, and also I don't think the graphic would look too good much smaller.

2. Doh, I'll fix that

14. Seems Tim missed this one. If I recall from all the talks we had on AIM, he used DreamWeaver.