Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please comment my new songs!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by hujo, Jan 17, 2003.

1. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hi! A couple of weeks ago, I booked a studio on my old high school, with the intent to record some tunes for my girlfriends birthday. Unfortunately, there was some misunderstandings, and the studio got double booked, so me and my band had to record through a pa, to my minidisc, via the headphone-out on the mixer!! Under the circumstances, it worked out OK, there is some hum, and the mix isn't the best, but it was a nice gift anyway.

There are three songs, two smooth ones that i've written, and one which i play fretless very poorly on (fretless n00bie), and a cover, of a song that you'll probably recognize. We did that song just for fun, and since it's so very dorky, we decided to make it even more so, by changing the melody, adding fresh sounds, etc.

Please comment! There are some very noticeable timing issues here and there, and some other stuff, but I hope you'll enjoy it anyway!

Here's the link:

http://as2-4-3.um.bonet.se/johannes/Fodelsedagslatar2/mp3/

Thanks.

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh What a Night:

Good choice for a song. Very fun. I always like to hear an acoustic piano vs. keyboard, but what are you gonna do? It's not like you can haul them around.

Okay, what was up with the Australian vibrato throat whistle thingie?! Bizarre, yet fun.

Bassplaying sounds very good. Solid, nice, tempered. I dig.

I would've listened to more, but I'm on dial-up, too much buffering.

3. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks Jazzbo, I really appreciate your comments. Don't be afraid to complain aswell!

Oh yeah, about the chorused guitar: It's a joke! The melody on the II-VI-V part in the beginning is about as corny as you can get. We didn't really take the song seriously, and I think that's a good thing.

My favorite song is "onanerande trikåman..".

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah I was gonna say... that chorused guitar is kinda in your face. You sound good, and everything else sounds good... but that guitar. hehe.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I like your solo in "Oh what a night", it's Kool and the gang.

6. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks Matt! We had a blast recording it. We had to stop the recording a couple of times in the beginning of 'Oh what a night', because our drummer played it so fast!

7. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    I don't know, the guitar adds something to it...I like the scratchyness...(is that a word :D )

Very nicely done...Oh what a night has never been a song I liked, but again that just MO. Other than that...keep 'em coming...very nice.

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks man. You know, almost all the comments have been about that stupid cover, I'd really like to hear som opinions/criticism of my own tunes... ;) But I appreciate all your comments none the less!

9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I like Smorigast I Stan a lot. It has a very mellow vibe to it. A few innacuracies on the fretless, but nothing that is bad. I like that one a lot. The bass has the melody for the song, but it isn't obnoxious or in your face as some bass solos are. Me likey.

Onanerande Trikåman is cool. It almost reminds me of the theme to a cheesy love scene in a teen movie ;) (but not in a bad way) I like the congas in there, a nice little background voicing; quiet, but very well placed. The electric guitar is really nice in this song, used sparingly to add just a little bit of "twang". The entire song is well put together and thought out.

What do the names of those songs mean in english?

And of course, thumbs up on Oh What a Night ;) Great with the wacky chorus. Awesome use of something that would never be any good any other way :D As Jazzbo said, it is really cool hearing the acoustic piano.

Overall, these 3 songs were pretty good! I can't really hear any problems in the recording gear side of things, and while the mix isn't perfect, it isn't too bad either.

Good stuff!

10. I'm kinda new at this (TB) but here goes:

Onanerande Trikaman Forbryllar Polisen = Maturbating man in tights puzzels police (Hehe I said Masturbating huhu)

Smorigast i stan = Uhm kind of hard to translate has to do with butter but....... Butteriest in town ?

:D

11. I'm kinda new at this (TB) but here goes:

Onanerande Trikaman Forbryllar Polisen = Maturbating man in tights puzzels police (Hehe I said Masturbating huhu)

Smorigast i stan = Uhm kind of hard to translate has to do with butter but....... Butteriest in town ?

:D

12. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, that's about right... There's a story behind the 'Onanerande trikåman', as i was burning the songs on to a CD, I didn't have a name for that song.. So I'm sitting at the computer trying to think of a name, and I see the newspaper that someone left there, and there it is! The wonderful headline "Masturbating tricotman puzzles police". And I just knew that that was the name. ;) I don't really remember what the article was about, probably some flasher.

Smörigast I Stan, i'd translate that as Cheesiest in Town, since it's almost too smooth.

13. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm gonna bump this one last time.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

that's it! I'm gonna go bump my "Matt and The Monkey Mafia" Thread! ;)

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    P.S. It's hard to get people to listen to your songs... I think it's because we're all just so damn lazy. Phhhhttt, we're just all stereotypical bassists.