Please comment on my new bass design.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 88tuner, Dec 3, 2003.

1. I would love to hear commentary on my new bass. I should have it done within the next two weeks or so. It's made from spalted maple and spalted sycamore. All Carvin parts.

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I like it! I bet you can't sit down and play with it though, can you? Looks a little neck-heavy. Other than that, very pretty!
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Definitely unique.. Looks like it's going to be terribly neck-heavy though.. Can't wait to see the finished product.
  4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Don't give up the day job.
  5. Funny, that's what they tell me after every rehearsal or gig.
  6. Not aesthetically pleasing for me. I don't like the headstock.. The body is not that bad, I kind of like it.. ANd looks good on that spalted maple, but I don't like the upper horn being so parallel to the neck.. and the cutaway is too wide for my taste.

Functinally, you could turn the tunning heads towards the body to make tunning more confortable. ANd the body might be unbalanced with the neck for being so small.
    The end of the neck is too close to the pickup in the treble side. It will obstruct you from popping the D and G strings.

It's great that you're buildind your own bass. I wish I had the skills (and tools).. show us how it gets going.. ;)
  7. I very much like the wood, it looks great! But the whole thing seems a bit out of proportion. But that's not a bad thing, I like people that make basses not looking like every other bass (be different!)

Just a thought: you could all align the tuners at the same angle to the neck. That would give something like this:

. ___
    . | |\
    ./| |
    . | |\
    ./| |
    . | |\
    . ===

I think that gives a more coherent feel to it.
    What are your ideas for the fingerboard?

Btw. great that you are making your own bass!:bassist:
  8. Err, it looks like you put the tuning machines on backwards...
  9. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    It looks kinda like that one series of Yamaha guitars, only reversed. I can't remember what they were called but you'd know it if you saw it.

anyways, good effort and great wood, but I personally am not enamored with the lines. To each his own. I *do* like the real big top horn and real small bottom horn idea in general though.

maybe cut away the very tip of the headstock to improve balance marginally...
  10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hmm... this looks like the Acacia headstock-meets-the-Warwick Streamer upper horn-meets-the-Warwick Thumb butt-meets-the-Gibson Thunderbird lower horn... :rolleyes: sorry for that, but i just couldnt hold myself back...
  11. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    IS that neck made of Spalted (rotten) wood ? If so, I give it six months before it snaps in half.

You should never use spalted wood for any pressure sensitive areas. Half of the time spalted wood is barely strong enough to hold bridge screws...
  12. I like the design, though like everyone says it looks like it might be a little neck heavy. One thing though, it looks like your pups might be a little offset towards the upper portion of the body, maybe it's just the picture though...
  13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    What would concern me even more is that the piece of wood used for the neck is not straight - making it more likely to warp. Look at the necks of all basses - the neck wood has to be straight-grained or at least symmetrical, with proper reinforcing. The knot under the upper horn looks nice, like a rising sun, but it is not good... It might come out
  14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

I didn't notice that...
  15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything".............

Oh well, you are brave enough to ask.

- The neck wood looks seriously bad - faults in the wood that will cause "off" notes and will probably split along the faults soon enough once strings put stress on the wood
    - Upper horn has all the style of a Popsicle stick
    - Either the neck is seriously wide or the body is seriously dimunitive. Either way, it looks like there is no grace in the design
    - Lack of a lower horn makes me think a bottle of Jack Daniels was too near the saw and it was cut off buy mistake, considering the abrupt angle of the cut
    - truss rod cavity appears to be off-center....ought to be interesting to adjust
    - tuning keys aren't perpendicular to tuning pegs; the keys look "splattered" around the headstock
    - Wait till you hear how lousy the Carvin HB pup sounds.....I had one and hated it
    - Using all spalted is not a wise idea. "Spalted" is a polite word meaning "wood that has begun to rot due to moisture and lack of sunlight." It makes a nice cap, but is still rotting wood that should only be used as a top/bottom plate for decorative purposes. It has no sonic advantages.

Still, I hope you prove me wrong and it works out well. Even if it doesn't, that's how many of us learn best. Good luck!.......(unfortunately, I think you'll need all you can get). ;)
  16. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Did you whittle that yourself?
  17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Let us have a moment of silence for the tree.
  18. Well. The tuners are not positioned yet. I like the idea of hanging them down. The neck is good solid maple all the way down to the middle of the body. The fretboard is spalted sycamore and I don't think it will crack from the looks of the matching piece that I planed to less than an 1/8 inch. It's really hard. It should be good. The neck is laminated so it isn't going to warp. I will knock off some width when I position the strings and nut later. I have never used a pattern or timplate. All freehand.

As for being neck heavy, the fingerboard goes much lower than a standard bass so it makes it look out of scale. It's 34' from nut to bridge. I'll post more pics when it's finished.

Here's another bass that I've done. Identical size and head. The fingerboard here is not as long as the spalted bass.

19. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Looks kinda "wishy". Although, better than I could ever hope to do. Congatz!