1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please.. comment on website

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Austinguy2010, Apr 28, 2010.

1. I built a website for our band and hope that I included everything.
    I could use the help of some fellow musicians to give me any input that you have. Please be constructive though LOL.
    :help:

www.osjaustin.com

2. My main thought is that it's kind of bland. Black is cool but you need some graphics or something on there. It looks a bit boring. Also, I'd put the band name on the splash page. Just having the picture of the band looks kind of odd.

3. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm a professional web developer. Here's my points.

- The header bar takes up too much space, which may cause people to miss on the information below because they may not know to scroll down. Too much browser space is taken up by stuff that doesn't convey any info. Looks good if you go full screen, but not everyone does, and lots of people surf via phone nowadays. You want the user to see all the good stuff first.

- The splash screen can be annoying for some users. It's also one more page to maintain if members are replaced.

- I like the twitter, facebook, and e-mail being on the same page. You may want to seperate the guestbook to another as it takes up more real estate than the rest.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Overall it's pretty decent. I like the crowd photos, that really puts the idea into the viewer's head that you will draw a big enthusiastic crowd, that you already have a big fan base. Good move (whether it's true or not).

Splash pages in general are very 1995. Having an index page with a "click to enter" on it is worthless and amateur. They want to enter, they're at the site already, don't bum them out with an outdated click-through page! Use the Home page as the index page.

The "About Us" section needs a bit of work. It's not bad, but it's not great. I would job that out to somebody with commercial writing chops. It needs to be peppy in verbal form, not relying on different text colors to seem exciting.

I agree that the site needs a bit more color. You're not a death metal band, you're a party band (right?). So sure, have some tough-guy aspects to go with the hard-rock songs and audience, but give it some flair with color. Like the hair metal guys tying a colorful bandanna around their bicep or their knee.

Again though, pretty decent overall. Makes you look like you are busy and you mean business.

5. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Name on the front page

Audio Samples.. downloadable mpe
    Electronic press kit.
    Set list in 2 columns.. song then artist..

Contact info on every page..

Jump to home button on every page.

color pix of the band always work.

6. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Forgot to say.. great start.. tons better than most of the stuff that's out there.

I did the simplicity.

7. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    Try to get a more original or stunning pic of the band.

8. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Looks professional. I agree with the "ditch the first page" comments. Just a wasted click.
    What program did you use to make it?

9. Its actually a bandzoogle website for bands. Thats why I was wondering how it looked because you use their templates. I do have some limited html knowledge but not alot.

10. Thanks for the info.... what do you mean by Electronic Press Kit?
    Isnt that what a website is?

11. Great input.. thanks to everyone... Ive taken some of the input and made the changes I can make so far. Keep it coming!!!!

Took down the splash page.... changed the set list to 2 columns... put the guestbook on its own page....

12. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    From a graphic designer's viewpoint:

Are you going for a B/W theme? If not, how's about throwing in some more color? The VIDEO page really jumps out, 'cause it has color footage. Also, the band logo looks really washed out. But maybe that's the effect you were going for?

Also, the audience shot (with the rock'n roll/devil horns) seems a little hackneyed/played out, but that's just me.

I really like the navigation, and agree with the others about having a home & contact jump page on every page.

13. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    the band photo IMO makes the whole site go from "clean and minimalist" to "no-budget/amateur." cover bands are generally all about looking "pro" so you can demand as much money as possible for your gigs, and frankly that picture (and the quick MS paint job) is working pretty heavily against that image. It's generally pretty easy to find a high quality local photographer who could take a few promo shots and photoshop them up for whatever specific purpose you need them for about $100.

the "about us" has some typos (where's the question mark in the first sentence?). Also, maybe spend more time in that section on what it is that makes you worth booking, rather than the back story that most people honestly probably don't care about.

otherwise, it looks pretty good so far.

14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    More background vocals.

15. Color.

Need more of it.

16. Thanks everyone for their comments.. made some changes and will be working on how to get more color onto the page. We wanted to keep it simple and go black and white but too many of you say color is needed... guess we were wrong..... thanks again