Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please compare 1x10 versus 2x8 versus 4x6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doublestop, Jan 14, 2006.

1. OK, I'm ready to make my stack.

I have a nice 1x12 (Aggie GS112). Gives lows that are so nice! Now I want to add a 2nd cab with a little more clarity and mids. I'm ready to buy or build myself. And...it is no problem if it´s not mainsteam :)

My options: 1x10, 2x8 and 4x6.

Please compare in terms of

* tone (will it be a nice complement to the 1x12? What sort of tone to expect ?)

* volume (can it keep up with the 1x12? will it overpower the 1x12 ?)

THANKS A BUNCH :bassist: :)

2. I dont have any experience, but Ive heard lots of good things about Low Down Sound's custom cabs. I know Ive seen both a 1x10 and 2x8 from them. I havent seen a 4x6 anywhere though. Epifani also makes a nice lightweight 1x10.

3. Is there such a cab or are you considering building this configuration? I once had an older Bose 901(IIRC); 8x5 1/2 w/a weird little homemade-looking crossover. It sat on top of a Sunn Colleseum 300/Peavey 2x15. The extra cab pushing high-end stuff, up near ear-level, was very nice. Added a lot of clarity to the big ol' 15's boom.

4. I consider building it myself.

5. 4x6 = PJB

6. If you are building it yourself, that is fine, but typically anything smaller than an 8" speaker is considered a mid range driver...dunno how well your bass will sound through such a small speaker.