1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please criticize my bands EP

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ThatBassistDude, Feb 21, 2013.

1. So my indie rock band Ferris Wheel on Fire has had this out for a while, but while we get good responses from YouTube and Facebook, I haven't heard people's opinions directly on the studio music. We have quite a bit more music than this, but it just hasn't been released yet. We would really appreciate any comments you have on our music. Here is the link to our bandcamp, you can listen and download our stuff here. Thank you!
    In A Neighborhood With No Houses by Ferris Wheel On Fire:

http://ferriswheelonfire.bandcamp.com/album/in-a-neighborhood-with-no-houses

2. I really dig this! It has a really cool 90's vibe to it, which is my favorite era in music. Keep it up. I will definitely download this for sure!

3. Thanks man! We're all 17 year olds from north texas, were actually recording in our drummers bedroom haha. You can like our Facebook page if you want to. facebook.com/ferriswheelonfire
    Please spread our name around, we really need the support right now.
    Peace!

4. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    First thoughts:
    - First track reminds me of early Foo Fighters a bit. Not sure what the second one reminds of.
    - A really impressive recording for something made in your drummer's bedroom!
    - Could maybe do with sounding a bit brighter; the overall mix is a little muffled, at least in my headphones.
    - Second track, I particularly like. Thought the intro was plodding a little bit much, but then the soaring guitar kicked in and all was forgiven. Could maybe do with a little more variation over the course of its eight minutes, but I'm nit-picking now. I really rather enjoyed that!

5. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Personally, I think there is too much reverb and the vocals are lost and muddy as a result. Also, clean up the guitar tone without the distortion and go with a clean, jangly sound.

6. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    Really dig the first one. I love power pop. I'll call it that even if you don't, because it's got a great melody.

The 2nd one with its experimental vibe and long intro, doesn't really float my boat. I couldn't tell you if it's good or bad.

Amazing work for a bedroom recording.

7. I will listen when I have time, but I will say that your band name and song title are rather lengthy- a minor point, but worth consideration in the ADHD culture of today.

Also- by * criticize* do you really mean *critique*? Sorry to nitpick, it's just what I do best. :)

8. Yeah I know the names are long, but that's not my doing.
    And I should have been more specific, I just want opinions in general.

9. B-bump

10. White Beard

White Beard

Feb 12, 2013
    The bass is really muddy and undefined. Put some more mid and high on the bass track (are you amped? DI? DI from the amp? There are a lot of different ways to do it). You're playing a lot of little runs and I just can't hear them all that well.

Also, it's hard for me to stay interested in an eight minute song if it's just the same thing over and again, just alternated loud and soft. Look at long forms in music and vary it up a little bit.

All in all, it's a really good home recording for 17 year olds. You're going to get so much more out of recording yourself than you would by paying someone else to do it. Keep at it, because you can get a lot better than you are now (which really isn't bad at all).

11. I would add lyrics

12. What kind of speakers are you listening to this through? I've never heard my tone is muddy and undefined from anyone before, and I've never had problems with hearing it in the mix. I use quite a bit of mids and highs, I'm running DI from the amp. And the 8 minute song was around before I joined the band. But it is correct to the style of music we play, go listen to post rock bands like explosions in the sky and you will see what I mean.

13. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    17 years old? Nice stuff. Like that MTV 120 minutes alt kind of stuff. Being 17, you may have never heard of that show though...you were probably still swingin from nut to nut at the time.

Keep it up.

14. Thank you, and no I haven't, but I'll take it as a compliment haha

15. 77jazz

77jazz

Jul 21, 2006
    Fargo, ND
    For me, It has too much reverb, and it the guitar swell in the background should be during the chorus instead of clouding up the vocals. It just needs to be switched around and all is good.

Good luck.

16. White Beard

White Beard

Feb 12, 2013
    I'm running my computer through my stereo into a pair of Bose 201's. I'm not hearing a lot of definition from the bass. That's what I'm hearing (or not hearing, according to you). You asked for a critique, I gave it, and I gave it with the mind of helping you come through the mix. My estimate is that you're playing with fingers very close to, or over, the neck; or, your drummer/producer/engineer/mixer/masterer/songwriter is focused on parts of the recording other than the bass. Very possibly: both.

You asked for the people's opinions, and mine wasn't good enough. Obviously, my equipment is faulty.

I'm sorry to have wasted your time with my ill informed honesty. I think I would like your playing more if I could hear it better. The next time you just want a pat on the back, ask your mom.

17. i like it a lot! that first song Neighborhood with No Houses is sick! and who seriously cares about the production quality?? they're 17 year olds in a bedroom for god's sake. i think it sounds unique and kinda nostalgic.

18. his response to you did not warrant this rudeness :scowl:

19. Hahaha, someone seems a little grumpy.