1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

please critique my band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tuBass, Sep 20, 2008.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    looking for advice..

check out the look of the website, the video... everything, just tell me anything that pops into your mind. I promise not to get defensive (i hope)

www.creekbendrock.com

thanks guys

before anybody says anything... the v-drums were jsut for that venue... next month we have a gig where we are using these...

P1020342.

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    bump...

anything?

3. RiddimKing

RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    The music's not my cuppa, but from a strictly performance standpoint, you'll have a better chance of engaging your audience if the guitarist and keyboard player don't have to read sheet music while they're playing. It's hard if you're covering so many songs, but that's the reality: if you're staring at a music stand, you're not looking at the other people in the band, and you're not looking at the audience. I assume you're the bassist: if you can learn the set without having to refer to paper, the rest of them can do it too.

4. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    Stream of consciousness:

stage too bright

music stands no good

music's great

i hope there's banter btwn songs

yeah the music stands really got to go

good singer

maybe if the stage was darker i wouldn't need something else there visually - maybe dancers? maybe your background singers could do a little moving?

song choices vary wildly

overall, good

--Bomb :bassist:

5. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    Post on youtube...you'll get plenty of comments!!!!!

But seriously... I agree with some of what adam bomb has said...

some stage lighting would help enormously...kill the house lights at least.

a little more sound checking might help. backing vocals too low or more probably lead vocal too high in the mix?

I'm british, and not a christian, so I didn't get the 2nd half (i do agree with adam about the overall physicality. )

Good gig though.

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    that particular gig was with a church where we did the first half as classic rock, and then did the second half as church music. Most of the time we will be doing all rock.

I totally agree about the music stands, and I'm hoping we can dump them soon. I actually had one in front of me too, but it was WAY low and I only had to glance at it from time to time.

Agree 100% on the recording mix. it wasn't the live mix, I'm sure it was better. It's hard to get a good recording mix off of an aux channel. I was dissapointed the background vocals were not up more.

thanks for the comments... what did you think of the website? anything important I've left out that it needs? A list of songs we do for example?

7. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    I like your pics...especially the 'behind the head' shot.

yer man looks so much younger sans facial hair. (forgive me if its a different bloke...same guitar):meh:

I would get a banner with your name above the back screen, so people who see the photos dont think your a tribute band(or something...you know what i mean!):(

set list would be ok...

a short member biog is nice

and some music samples of course

up and coming gigs?

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Hmmm... A banner.... hadn't thought of that... THANKS!

We're doing an outdoor gig on a trailer next month, I'll see if I can get that going for the trailer.

same guy... one year later...he does look quite a bit different. I always thought of his as looking young for a guy that played this stuff in the 70's. He's in his 50's.

great thread! thanks for the suggestions, and kep them coming.

9. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    It looks like you've only had one gig, because you have pictures and video from only one. You also need to have a calendar on there for two reasons: First, people can see what's coming up for you. Second, people can see that you've done a lot in the past.

You might consider taking some promo pictures for the front page. If not, do a gig with some stage lights and use THAT picture for your front page.

Classic rock stuff sounds good, solid. You need to think about what you're presenting visually through body language, etc. P&W stuff sounds pretty generic... be very careful that each person has a "part" to play- especially the keyboard and two guitars, since they all live in the same sonic frequencies.

Oh, and even though I sometimes don't follow my own advice on this, PLEASE dress accordingly for a rock show. The t-shirt and jeans thing just makes you guys look like a praise and worship band that also covers rock tunes. I'm sure being onstage at a church also helps that misconception... :)

As a final note, get some lights and get some fog. Small investment, BIG returns. At the very least, get one colored light for each band member and point it at them. That way, you can kill the house lights and set a better "mood".

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    actually, there are pics up from two gigs... same place.. different gigs

we'll have more up after next month, and outdoor gig that will give us a whole different vibe. I'm going to recut the sample video, lose the P&W stuff, and put more emphasis on the rock

Just wondering... if classic rock isn't jeans and t-shirts, what is it?

Not too many church bands around here play in jeans....

I'm serious... little help?

11. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    geezer, thanks for the suggestion of a banner.. we have one on order now for our next gig.

12. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Dude, the chords are wrong to born to be wild. I don't need to go any further do I?

So what is the standard against which you want to be compared? If the measure of a good cover band is accurate reproduction of the original artist vibe and performance than you get a thumbs down. The chords are simply wrong. You don't have a strong vocalist. Vocals are flat and the performance is without passion and power. Can you hear that?

I am sure you guys are having a blast, you put a lot of work into your website, that's cool. The music is the most important thing and that falls way short of the excellent mark.

If this band is for recreation, who cares, enjoy. If you are asking for an honest musical critique, you got one. No disrespect intended. Sorry.

13. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    thanks for your opinion.. but the chords are correct... that song isn't exactly rocket science. care to elaborate?

maybe the voices in the keyboard part aren't exactly like the recording, but the chords are the same.

14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    You got some good vocal harmonies goin on! Keep at it!

Ditch the music stands tho.

15. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    agreed... I'll talk to the band about it soon.. we need to take away that crutch

16. pbass62

pbass62

Sep 24, 2007
    Concord NC
    Get Rid of the stands. Sounds pretty good though

17. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    Wrong Wrong Wrong!

A good cover band takes a song, keeps the essence, and makes it their own. Put your own personality on the music whilst keeping the hooks.

Born to be wild sounded fine to me. your all doing a fine job, but you need some stage lighting...that will make a world of difference. That hall looked like it had a bank of lights in the middle. im glad your getting a banner.

keep it up...you will get gigs... do a demo of your best 3...fast slow fast.:bassist:

18. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    sometimes you dont have any control over lighting in the places you play. You just put on the best show you can, and dont worry about stuff you have no control over

we're talking about a demo... trying to narrow down our set list to three songs will be difficult, but the slow fast slow suggestion is exactly right

19. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Your part's right...the guitar's wrong.

This isn't a criticism. I don't buy into a band needing to cover a song so it sounds exactly like the original, you should do the songs anyway you want to.

However, for some reason with that particular song (maybe because its such a rock standard) the way you're guitarist is playing it makes it sound like he's bricking it. That's just the initial impression I got. For that reason I don't know if I'd put that particular clip at the beginning of the video.

Other than that: Ditch the music stands, get your keyboardist to look like she's having fun (she looks like she's at work) and do something about the clothes (at least for the promotional video). The "idea" of jeans and T-shirts for a classic rock band is fine, but in reality you all kind of look like soccer dads/mom just getting back from tailgating. Get some panache in there somehow.

Good luck to you.

20. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Try playing at a bar where people are drinking too. That might get that crowd going a little bit, in turn your band members will loosen up as well. tuBass, you're doing a great job though, definitely the most fun member to watch.