Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please Critique My Bass Solo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jonathan2994, Apr 8, 2005.

1. i'm new here, so i was wondering if you guys could critiqute my little bass solos for me please. Peace is a much better solo since I was paying attention when I played it, where as Oastatusus was me chugging a bass while watching Family Guy. also see if you can guess how long I've played...

please critique.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/tooljonesmusic.htm

i'm sorry if this is the wrong section, i just registered here. :bassist:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First of all, yes, it's in the wrong section. The recordings forum probably would've been your best bet.

In regards to Peace: I like it, you do tend to jump around as far as technique/style a lot and don't really follow a motive or single idea, which can be good or bad depending how you ask. Are you changing keys?

As far as Ostatusus goes: not bad for watching Family Guy. I tend to glaze over entirely.

What kind of gear are you using?

3. Peace is pretty cool, there are some great riffs and sections. However if I had to critique something it would be the overall lack of pace the solo has. It's just a bass playing for 5 minutes. Sounds good, but I'd maybe try to get an underlying theme go through it... structure it more like a real song or something, maybe add a drum track or rhythm bass track. All in all though it sounds good!

4. thanks guys, those are some of the best complements i've gotten, ever. yeah i know the solos lack a basic rhythm, but personally, i like it like that. it's a total freestyle of playing, and i don't see why almost every other bass solo (be it from Geddy Lee, Les Claypool, or Flea) has to be a series of really cool riffs. it's cool and all, but i'm just more abstract than that. i think Peace is a much better track but I love that riff at the end of Oastatusus--i'm playing it on the top string while chugging it and the two below it.

i'm using a Standell 4-string plugged straight into my soundcard and i record on Audacity. i like Jim Dunlop medium picks. i generally use standard tuning.

what do you mean exactly by asking if i'm changing keys? i'm not caught up on technical terms, never really took any lessons at all.

can anyone guess how long i've played, though? i just want to hear your guesses.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd say you've been playing 3 or 4 years.

6. no more guesses? i just wondered how long you might guess i've played...

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    2 years.

You've got plenty of licks, and lots of little "hooks," but the transitions between them are basically nonexistent -- especially when you change keys. There's no central idea, and there's no rhythm. Every bass solo isn't just a "series of riffs" -- at least, not every good bass solo. Listen to some jazz musicians, and specifically, jazz bassists. And for more of your chopsy stuff (since you sound like a fan of that) check out Victor Wooten and Marcus Miller.

EDIT: Get some lessons. Music theory is awesome.

EDIT AGAIN: I'm changing my guess to 4 years. I'm listening to Ostatusus. While it's still really "loose" and there are parts where it just doesn't make any sense, you can...well, play pretty fast. Can't say I've seen too many people playing for two years that can play that fast. Of course, you're now obligated to audition for Yngwie's band.

8. thanks a lot, i get the whole "fast, nice chops" thing a lot. i like wooten, i'll have to check out that other guy. my favorite bassist though is probably either justin chancellor, flea, or geddy lee.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    To be honest, a lot of the playing is unclear and inarticulate, and there are noticeable "plunks" instead of fully sounded notes in places where it doesn't seem intentional (although this is way more common in Peace.) IMO, Ostatusus is far better because it's more cohesive and there's a theme/idea behind it (and more articulate), rather than switching licks and keys at random times. Parts of Ostatusus could make a really nice solo in the context of the right song.

Also, did you play with a pick, or with fingers? Can't say I've ever heard someone use a pick quite that fast on a bass, but you do list Justin Chancellor (awesome bassist, by the by) as one of your favourites.

10. thanks, i use a pick. Ostatusus had no planning or idea, it was just an all out solo. all the plunks you hear on Peace are intentional.