Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please Critique My Planned Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassin' 'Round, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Really just mess around, but I'm going to try some effects. Never used any before.

I play an active 4-string Jazz through a 400+ and a 210 & 212.

I know effects are pretty highly personal choices, but I'd appreciate any opinions about where I may be going seriously wrong with these. (Just please don't offer advice about fingers providing the tone. I agree, but just want to play with different sounds.)

Where am I seriously overlapping effects?

Which brand/model effect is much better for about the same price than the one I'm looking at or almost as good at a much lower price?

What indispensible effect(s) am I overlooking?

What is the best power source to hook all these up with(if there is one)?

Lastly, is it better to go with new(although I know my list isn't inexpensive, I do have money to go this way)or used(save $ if/when they can be found, but risk lemons & being ripped off)?

These are the effects I'm thinking of getting:
    1. Akai Deep Impact Bass Synth(I know it's discontinued & only available used).
    2. Pigtronix Phaser.
    3. Dunlop Univibe Effect(not Dunlop Uni-Vibe Stereo Chorus).
    4. Snarling Dogs Bawl Buster Wah Pedal.
    5. Electro-Harmonix USA Bassballs Envelope Follower Pedal.

Thanks a lot...Rock On!

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    the only one i can really comment on is the deep impact. you wont be disappointed with it if you manage to get a hold of one.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    What sound are you going for.

But yeah the Deep Inpact is meant to be amazing and probably the only effect on your list that I would buy.

Hope this helps

4. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Not sure if it's the best, but it works well, easy pack up, and can power up 6 effects:

Pinnacle Pedal Board

It's also inexpensive. My son has one and loves it.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As for power, I'd go with a Dunlop DC Brick or a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2. Very worth it, and mount it to a size board of your liking. I've also noticed you don't have a distortion/overdrive unit. I guaruntee you'll miss it when you don't have it. I find it to be the most used pedal on my board when at full swing.

6. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Yeah, I think the Brick is the way to go.

What distortion/overdrive unit do you think works well?

Also, if I'm not able to grab a Deep Impact, I think the Magicstomp EB looks pretty nice.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Apparently, I'm a big fan of the Big Muff, but you should probably get out and try a few units yorself.

8. Might be worth checking out the EBS Multidrive, too! Great distortion... but a little higher price than the Big Muff, though..