Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please critique my setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Melvin7822, May 11, 2004.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    <html>
    <font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif"><font size="4">
    <p>I'm in desparate need of some criticism on my rig in order to make improvements upon it.<br> Here's what I use:<br><br>
    Furman PL-PRODM Power Conditioner<br>
    Line 6 Bass PODxt Pro [as a preamp (let the criticism fly =))]<br>
    dbx DDP (for compression, limiting, gating, and parametric EQ)<br>
    BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer <br>
    Stewart Audio World 2.1 Power Amp <br>
    Acme Low B-2 2x10 cabinet (powered with 650 W)<br><br></p>

<p>You can probably see that the theme of my setup is super flexibility without a lot of equipment to carry around. My original plan was to get an Acme Low B-4W to use along with the B2. I'm starting to debate whether I should just get another cabinet and use the Acme just for the low end. I used to have an Aguilar GS112 and now I'm wishing I didn't sell it. I've been seriously considering getting a GS112 and running my rig in biamp mode for smaller shows. And then along the way I'll get an Aguilar GS212 and an Acme Low B-4W.</p><br>

<p>My reasoning for using the Line 6 is that I can get a lot of unique sounds that I couldn't get by using other equipment. Yes, there are a lot of useless things on the unit (and I don't use them). But I have gotten some really good results live. It just takes a lot of tweaking. That's all.</p><br>

<p>Let me know what you think. If you think I should just stick with all Acme or go for the Aguilar/Acme combination. Also let me know if you think anything in my rig is extranneous or unneeded. Thanks everyone!</p>

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Welcome to TB. First, If your rig sounds good to you, then be happy and dont change a thing. We all have different taste and there is no right or wrong when it comes to the tone YOU like. You have good gear but since you asked, if it were me, I would dich the line 6, the BBE and the DBX. I would add the b4 and get a nice preamp (demeter, ag, eden, etc...). With a b2 and b4 you will have a 210, 410 and 610. Enough speaker area to play alot of different rooms/gigs. If you like the tone of your bass a acme/stewart and good preamp will give you alot of tone options. You can always add effects later after you get a good solid tone to work with. Jmo Also I dont like to bi amp. With the acme cabs you can get great full range tone.

3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    First off, what sounds good to you may not to others. But, if I inheritated your system, the Pod, DBX, and BBE would be gone. I dont like digital emulating, sonic maximizing, or compression of my bass sound. The Stew is great. You have a wonderful "backbone" in you rack. Keep the Stew. I would sell the Pod, DBX, and BBE and buy a good tube preamp like the Alembic F1x, Demeter, Kern, or Aguilar. Once you try one with your PLX you will see why I feel you dont need the Pod or dbx. I have never played Acme cabs so I cant really comment on them. However I have heard a great deal of positive things about them. Maybe adding another 210 or 115 down the raod might be an option. Do your self a favor and keep an eye in teh TB classifieds for a tube pre. I think there was a Demeter HBP-1 for sale a week ago that hasnt sold yet. Good luck!

PS fill out your profile, you find that you will get more responses (which equals help) if people can see what type of music you play, bass type, etc. etc.

4. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Thanks guys. I figured ditch the digital stuff would be the concensus thus far. I play a lot of different styles but I do more rock work then anything. My main bass is a Fender American Jazz with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups and a nickel nut. I like my sound to be buttery, tubelike, growly, fat, and deep (if that didn't sound redundant). I'm thinking of leaning more towards an Aguilar pre, perhaps the DB680. With that said, I also think I'll go with an Aguilar/Acme combination. When I had my GS112 and a G-K 800 RB, I loved the sound, so perhaps with a top notch preamp I'll be blown away.

I definitely have to agree that the Stewart is a keeper. It's got more clean power than I could ever need.

I use my rig with upright too, so maybe I shouldn't have gotten rid of my Rane PE-17. So many things to consider...

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Ditch the BBE. Ditch the POD unless you use a wide variety of effects. Take $$ from the BBE and POD sale and buy a real analog version of the effects you like that the POD was emulating.

6. Vote for getting another B-2 or the B-4. If you're having problems with 'bigness' of your tone, getting a B-2 and having 4 10's, 2 5's and 2 tweeters will really help that out and keep you really portable. I've read that it's not good to mix Acme with other brands of cabinets due to the efficiency differences (different volumes).

If you want a well-balanced, full-range sound coming from your cabinets, I'd stay away from the B-4W, which just has the mid and tweet removed.

Don't necessarily rip on the Pod Pro as a preamp with Acme speakers. They are very clean and do not have a 'color' or resonant voicing that other cabinets have. They are like studio reference monitors and take modeling preamps very well. They're some of the most accurate speakers to give the 'true sounds' of a Pod.

7. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I have to admit that I'm liking the option of the Acme B-4, being able to have 2, 4, or 6 10's is a rather nice convenience to have. If anything I've been honestly considering getting rid of, it would be the dbx DDP. The BBE and the POD kinda go hand in hand due to the lack of oomph in POD's live mode. The only thing I really appreciate about the POD is having presets so I can use multiple basses with a single rig and not have to change the settings on the amp whenever I want to switch to another bass.

On the other hand, it is a pain to have to adjust several presets for a different room. However, I found that using the dbx DDP's parametric EQ put this task to rest. I have been considering a tube preamp though. I rarely use effects as it is and even so most of my favorites I already have in analog form. If I only worked with a single band, I'd pretty much be able to give up the POD, the BBE, and the dbx in favor of an Aguilar preamp. I don't know, I still feel lost.

8. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    ::Bump:: Does anyone else have any good advice?

9. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Can anyone else speak of this? I sent Andy and e-mail to check this out.

Ok, so I'm honestly considering getting rid of the Bass POD and I'm leaning towards getting rid of the dbx DDP. I'm just not sure if I want to let the BBE Sonic Maximizer go. Barring that aside, I'm putting a lot of consideration into purchasing an Aguilar DB-680.

I like the flexibility of having a 4x10 and a 2x10. 'Cause I can use a 2x10 for small venues, 4x10 for medium venues, and 6 10s for large venues. However, since I'm hired for rock projects a lot more often then not, the Acme cabinets are a bit subdued. That's why I was thinking of purchasing the Aguilar GS112. I like the sound of Aguilar's 12s. However going by this plan. I'd have to buy a few more cabinets. But in the long run I think it might be worth it (I just like the focus of the 12). On the other hand I could put a parametric EQ in my rack and try to simulate the responce curve of the 12 and then I'd just be losing the focus.

Other than all this, I have all my favorite effects that I'd ever consider using in analog. These would include a Mutron III+, an EHX Bass Micro Synth, EHX Big Muff, Danelectro Daddy-O, and a Pro Co Juggernaut.

So many decisions, what to do, what to do....

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    In addition to the preamps already mentioned, I would add the BBE Bmax, Bmax-T, Ampeg SVP-Pro, SVP-CL (check out www.basstasters.com if you haven't already).

If you like the Acme sound, get another B-2.

There are a wide assortment of good cabs out there, do some checking around.

The Aguilar GS210 and GS112 sound good together.

Several cabs from Bag End, Epifani, Bergantino, EA, Accugroove, SWR, Eden, Genz Benz are worthy of checking out.

11. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
  12. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    When you get a nice tube pre I dont think that you will ever want to touch the POD again. Since the reason you are using the BBE is to make the POD sound better, you wont need the BBE. If you want a warm, growly, umphy, fat sound I would look at the Alembic F1X or a Kern 777. The Aguilar is a good choice as well. Athough I have never tried the BMax or Sansamp pre's, I have heard a great deal of positive responses about them. However, I like a real tube front end and would reccomend the same to you based on your sound description that you are trying to achieve.

13. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Ok, I'm definitely selling the BBE and the dbx and buying an Acme Low B-4 to add along with my B-2. The Acme loves the POD when it's in studio mode if I turn the room sound off. I've found some amazing sounds, but they could just use a little warmth. So I propose adding in an Avalon VT-737sp Class A Vacuum Tube channel. I think I came up with my winning solution.

14. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
  15. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Haha, nevermind. I'm a confused individual it seems. I think I will be getting rid of the POD in favor of a good tube preamp.