Please delete thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ayarem, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Ayarem

Ayarem

Aug 12, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I'm interested in learning the bass, but am finding it hard to locate one as I am left handed. I have read that you should try them before picking one out and to avoid buying online ( this would be my first instrument ) however, places like Guitar Center don't typically carry left handed models.

I've seen they have a cheap starter kit on amazon, but is it a wise decision to go that route or pick up like a Squier Jazz bass for like 300 bucks.

any input would be appreciated, especially from lefty's

thanks !!

Elusive1 likes this.
  2. Elusive1

Elusive1

Jun 21, 2018
    Singapore
    Hello fellow lefty,

Are there absolutely no music stores with left-handed basses in your area at all? I agree with the notion that you should try before you buy since it'll help you determine if a particular instrument will fit you; unfortunately, from a realistic point of view, we lefties often have to make do with what's available to us. Where are you from?

Squier basses are pretty good value for money. $300 sounds just about right; is the one you mentioned online or in a store near you? I have never bought a bass online, so I can't say for sure if it's a good or bad idea, will leave it to those who have done so to chime in

By the way, since you're new, just curious to know, have you already tried playing right-handed? If you can learn to play righty then you'll be saving yourself the inconvenience us lefties face. But don't worry if you're fixed on playing left-handed, you'll just have to keep looking for the right instrument (no pun intended). I myself learnt lefty because I naturally air-guitar that way, can't get my body to play in the righty position for nuts

Bit of background info on my first two basses; my very first bass was the only lefty in the store at the time, and I got it as I didn't know any better, merely settling for anything that fitted my dexterity (was already playing acoustic guitar lefty), and now I don't use it anymore as the tone has become lacklustre to my ears. My second bass (MIJ Fender Jazz, now my primary player) was one of two lefty Jazz Basses in another store, and I picked mine because the sunburst finish appealed more to me than the black finish of the other one lol

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Lots of lefties (myself included) play right handed. Your more dextrous hand is doing the more difficult work, and yes, it's easier to find instruments.

Avoid starter packs. They tend to be over priced and lacking in quality. I would advise getting something like a Squier Jazz or Precision. More selection, and easier to sell if it doesn't work out.

4. Ayarem

Ayarem

Aug 12, 2018
    Naturally left handed as right hand felt awkward, Rock Band confirmed it and as the "simulated" fret pressing felt comfortable. I haven't found any Lefty Basses but one that was like 700 dollars and the fear of any kinda damage was off putting to try it on.

I mean if money wasn't an option i'd buy a Rickenbacker 4003 simply because of the body style, but from what i've read they not geared towards Jazz/Funk or slap (not that they cant be, as I've heard some amazing stuff but thats way beyond me at this point.) which is what i'd like to get into and learn.

5. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    it's a life long battle, the righties discriminate against us often, and without realizing .

for me, it's been about learning how to setup and instrument and modify it .

SX jazz basses are usually a great starting point, especially if you bring them to someone for a good setup.

6. Ayarem

Ayarem

Aug 12, 2018
    thanks for the advise everyone, I'll probably pick up the Squier as I at least familar with the brand and its seems like the most recommended for a beginner.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021