Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please describe the Ashdown Tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 17, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

How would you describe Ashdowns tone and how does it compare to Ampegs?.Thanks :)

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've read somewhere in a post, (I believe it was here on TalkBass), that if an Ampeg and an Eden got married, the kid would be an Ashdown...

I have the low-end MAG300 head and it sounds mighty good to me. I am not using the sub-harmonic feature at all, and am getting the cushiony lows that I crave. I can only imagine the the ABM models sound that much better...

-robert

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    If you want, I should be able to get my paws on a mic and a cable to record D.I. and mic'd for ya? I've a MAG200 combo.

Ray

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I did just that....

most of this stuff was recorded through Ray's DI (it was mine then)
    http://www.hartsafire.com/music.htm

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Or James will and make me feel useless.... :crying:.

Ray :D

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I describe the Ashdown tone as modern vintage. Compared to Ampeg, I would say Ashdown is more transparent.

7. I am an Ashdown ABM 500 user - the tone out of this on my P-Bass is fat, but through my Stingray, its PHAT! I also dont touch the sub feature, as its meaty and full enough already. The best way to experience it is to find one and plug in.

I love Ashdowns -you can get them easily in Australia, and they arent too overpriced. You hear different reviews on the CS from Ashdown, ranging from "great, they responded to me in 5 minutes" to "I never heard back from them". But all in all, I find it to be a great brand, from my experience with this particular amp head and its 210 combo cousin.

Oh, and a word of warning, a fellow TB'er (lets just say, he is the main man in Spain ;) ) will no doubt give you his opinion of Ashdown soon. All I can say is that that is his opinion, and this was mine - check out what others have to say (my bet is that the majority of them would be positive), but most importantly of all, grab your bass, head to the store who has some Ashdowns and give yourself a couple of hours to run them through their paces.

8. Brown, what cab(s) are you running with your head/bass(es)

Also, just wondering if your using any flats on the P? and if so, how do they sound?

9. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    If you've ever played through a Trace Elliott, you may find some tonal similarities. I find Ashdown between Ampeg and the more hifi amps in tone. Go to www.basstasters.com, and you can hear clips of the Ashdown preamp vs. the Ampeg preamps. I think you'll find it helpful.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I believe im capable of answering this question, used to use an Ampeg, use an Ashdown now;

Ampeg: low, warm, slightly muddy, not well defined highs, more vintage slap tone than modern

Ashdown: Middy, warm and punchy, well defined more modern slap tone.

11. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    No, I won't! :D Just use the search function!

ANDRUCA

P/S: Am I almost the only on who hates them? Yes. But... so what? Are my experiences less valid due to that. And hey, I'm not the one to blame for my multiple "quiet farting" experiences with Ashdown!

12. I personally dont like Ashdowns, it was probably just my friends crappy amp, i dont know what model it was, 120 (maybe 150 watt) combo, single 15" speaker (which was blue, only cool thing about it), it sounded horrible

But ive heard good things about the higher end stuff, personally going to try and stick to an ampeg (look at my other threads)

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. :)

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Sounds like Ampeg & Eden having hot, passionate, steamy sex. :hyper:

15. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass

hmm, i wonder what fruits would be bared from that illigitimate passion?

16. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass

illigitimate passion fruit I guess.

17. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    :D

LOL!

18. Thanks Gaz

I run a Sovtek 410 with a paper Hartke 115, with the horn on. The 115 is a recent addition, so I havent had the chance to use it with my P-Bass as yet, but the Ashdown ABM 500 has been my main amp for the past four years.

I use a Sansamp BDDI with the P-Bass, but run the Stingray through without the SABDDI, because its active and gets a full enough tone with the EQ set flat. I have mainly used DR Hi-Beam roundwound strings on the P-Bass (because they last the longest) and always used Ernie Ball roundwound strings on the Stingray.

I have never used flats on my P-Bass, but after reading a few TB'ers reviews of them in the strings forum, that is something I am keen to do. The D'Addario Chromes seems to get the best reviews, but they seem to be quite $$$ here in Aus ($70 to $115 for a set on MW).

Cheers

19. Your experiences are vaild, and your opinions are valued here too, mate :)

20. I would agree with what others have said about the Eden/Ampeg "offspring". Although picturing two amplifiers humping is quite disturbing. ;)

Actaully, I think it is more like Trace Elliot and Ampeg were sneaking around behind Eden's back or something.

I have owned T.E. and Ampeg before my Ashdown, and I think it is the best of both worlds. I can get grinding overdrive or clean slap sounds, vintage or modern or somewhere in between at the push of a footswitch.

Hats off to the British, they sure know how to make an amplifier !