Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please describe the trademark sound of your amplification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 29, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am in the market for a new rig after several years with my Ampeg B 100 R , combo amps with more power are a plus. I was thinking of another Ampeg but i am willing to explore other brands. To help in my search could you describe the tones of the varies Amplification companys IE Ampeg lots of bottom and warm etc, thanks.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    GK, super clean and punchy. My favorite. It'll get lows with the right cabinet.

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Bowel sounds...with punch.
    I forgot to mention what I'm using; strangely enough, Overall all the combinations sound roughly similar.
    At practice, I'm using a Sunn Coliseum>X-audio 2x10 and a Trace Elliot AH-500>Avatar 2x10.
    Hone studio: Hartke 4.5XL & Basson B15b<QSC850<Behringer UB1632FX<Digitech RPx400
    For Performance I add an Acme Low B2 and a Eden 2x10/w Mackie M1400 to the practice rig... if needed.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    How's that Eden treatin you, L?

Eden stuff is really great. Another good all around clear amp. They sound very very smooth.

5. MAJOR METAL

How do they compare to SWR and can they be warmed up with strong bottom?.Thanks

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Oh yeah, Eden can warm up just fine. I have not been a big fan of SWR stuff. Except the IOD. That was a great preamp. The drive sounded nice.

7. MAJOR METAL

Anyone have expirence with the SWR Red Head ? or the Eden i belive the name is navigator it is a combo amp.

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Eden WT400. Warm with strong bottom. :D

Actually, the best way I can describe it is just presence. You are there and everyone knows it.

Very tight, well defined, clean, yet ballsy, in your face bass. Every note is felt as well as heard, while still being perfect in the mix.

Any note on the G string sounds just as tight, full, thick and rich as a low E.

9. MAJOR METAL

Nice write up you can do advertising for Eden ;) . Is the WT400 a combo?

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    It's a head, but it's in my combo...

11. I have a redhead, it's a really good combo but it's not really a warm kinda sound. It's more of a hi-fi or thin sound, great for slapping and solo work. It can get warm if you boost the bass, but it's never gonna sound like an ampeg, it's just not meant for that kinda sound. I have had great results putting a sansamp bassdriver into it though, you can get very warm tubey sounds doing this, so that might be worth a try if you find a good deal on a redhead.

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My combo is a G-K1001RB 2-10". It has a really punchy, clean sound that cuts through the drums and guitar. It's fairly easy to transport and it's surprisingly loud for it's size. It's a little shy in the bottom end dept., but I've been spoiled by the sound of my rackmounted preamp/power amp and Bergantino cabs. IMO the G-K1001RB combo is a "plug in and don't worry about it" amp. :cool:

I've read about some reliability issues with G-K stuff, but I've never experienced any. I've used G-K amps for many years without a hitch.

-Art

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the wt-400 is a head
    the eden combo analogous to the redhead is the metro.

summing up the sound of rigs falls into 3 categories - preamps/preamp sections, poweramps/poweramp sections, and cabinets

here's my take on the stuff i know

as far as preamps go. i have only had experience with ampeg tube preamp sections. they are cool but a bit "muddy". swr are squeaky clean but a bit "sterile" and lack "warmth" or a lot of low end "booty". However, they cut thru a mix like a knife and in a full on band you tend not to notice the "lack" of "warmth". eden sounds a good deal like swr but with a lot of "warmth" and cuts thru pretty well too. Eden does get a bit "loose" in the low end. Alembic has lots of "warmth" but in a more "organic" and "natural" way. the f1-x can cut thru like a knife if you know how to set the passive eq. Demeter preamps have a lot more "girth" than alembic but cut thru very well. they have a tight low end, but the hbp-1 has more so than the 201s due to the solid state output stage. Aguilar's preamps are night and day. the 659 (found in the 359 and 750 heads but with more tubes) is very "warm" and "woolly". the 680 is much more "hi-fi" sounding. both are very cool, but different animals altogether. the thunderfunk seems to have a very cool preamp section, being kind of in the middle of swr and eden. Genz-benz seems to sound very good as well. Sans amp is very warm but mid scooped.

power wise, i have limited experience with tube sections but they all sound great. however, you may prefer the tighter more transparent sound of SS power sections. amps like stewart and the qsc plx are excellent, but some prefer the slightly more "colered" sound of crest. the mosfet power section of the aguilar 750 is also awesome. i plugged other preamps into it and noticed a difference from my stewart.

cabinets are as varied as preamps. i currently use bag end cabs. the 15 and 12 are very punchy and loud. i also dig epifani and bergantino cabs. they seem to have some of the best crossovers and tweeters in the biz. aguilar GS series cabs have lots of low end but are a bit mid shy, but i still like them. the aguilar s series cabs remind me of the original SWR 1 and 2 cabs with lots of mids and tight bass - very cool. i'm not as fond of the swr 3 series, but they are still ok. eden cabs are also great, but the low mid bump can be an aquired taste. unfortunately i have no experience with EA, accugrove, or shroeder, but they get a lot of thumbs up.

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh........

i forgot my rig

anyhow, i currently use either a demeter VTBP-201 preamp or SWR electric blue head (as a preamp) into a stewart 2.1 power amp driving a bag end 1x15 and 1x12 cab and occasionally a bag end 2x10 cab. i also use a sans amp BDDI for a little overdrive or to warm up the SWR on a few tunes. The sound is very punchy with good lows but an emphasis on very present and clear midrange. I used to describe my ideal bass tone as a "baseball bat". then one day my drummer commented that i sounded like a "nail gun". that seems to have stuck. :D

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    So far, so good. My wife already threw a book at me and the cat just bit my ankle, so I'm on the right track. I've got it setup with BMax/Mackie head and an Acme Low B2. At 2, I become a bad citizen and a questionable mate.;)

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    [adjective], [adjective], [adjective], [adjective], [adjective], and punchy. It's all about punchy.

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Ivan Mike, thanks for the great info (as usual :cool: ) and that's a slick rig you're using.

My rackmount setup is:
    1. Read Custom Purity tube preamp. I can rave forever about this preamp. It tone is warm yet articulate. It doesn't lack anything in the mids, and it has more than enough low end. It's highs have all the clarity I'd ever want, yet they sound really smooth. It's also possible to get a bit of tube growl out of it. It doesn't over-color the sound of my basses and I like it's simple, yet effective EQ section.

2. Crest CA-9 power amp. It has a lot of headroom and clean volume. It's a bit heavy; it weighs close to 50 lbs.

3. Bergantino HT210 & HT115 cabs. They reproduce the sound of my basses really well. As a pair, I've been told each cab 'covers' for what the other 'lacks', but they sound pretty good when used separately to me, especially the HT115. They put out a lot of sound and they have a pretty flat audio response to my ears. The high frequency horns are a big improvement to some of the bullet-style tweeters I've had in other cabs. The pair handles the low end from my Roscoe-6 with ease.

I lean towards a midrangey tone. My preamp/cab setup, along with my Roscoe bass puts out all the mids I'd ever want. It wasn't cheap, but IMO the end result is well worth it. :)

-Art

18. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that's a pretty slick rig you got yourself art :cool:

19. I owned a Redhead for several years. I was just getting into gigging, and I was playing with a loud R&B combo, so I was making all the usual mistakes about dailing up tones I thought were cool, but were in fact just diappaearing onstage.
    At the time I thought it was the greatest piece of gear and I was really into the mid-scoop style of tones,which was a good thing, because that amp had a parametric mid that sounded kinda yucky. They are very prone to blown speakers as well, or they were whenI was using it :D

My Eden D410T is a great sounding cab, IMO their best sounding cabinet, tight bottom, muscular mids, sweet highs. It's the original Hi-Fi baseball bat ;)

20. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    fantastic cab IMO

the eden 410T is essentially the same as the original swr goliath (which eden made) i used to have one of those. the swr goliath 2 was almost identical to the original goliath 1 and the eden 410t. all of those cabs can be had used for less than 400 bucks, and kudos to eden for still making it. that was definitely my "baseball bat" as well. :p