...please don't beat me up!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by basegetar, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Ska doesn't seem too popular around here, I don't know why, but I have recently become interested in it. What are some good ska songs I should check out? Specific songs please, don't just say, "check out reel big fish" or something. Please... I'll be your friend...
  2. '9mm and a three piece suit'

by Catch 22

and basically anything off the album Keasbey Nights.
  3. Planet Smashers - Surfing in Tofino
  4. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Five Iron Frenzy- "Oh Canada"
    Reel Big Fish-"Sellout" (everybody has heard this song before.)
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i didn't think we disliked ska around here. do we? geeze, i keep missing the style meetings. :rolleyes:
  6. I think he meant where he lived. I hope ;)

Check out Superman by Goldfinger.

Not really ska, but sounds ska-ish ;)
  7. "I" don't like it, but "we" do.

There was a 'Why do people hate ska thread" a couple of days ago... there were 20+ people saying how much they loved Ska with only 2 or 3 people who said that they didn't like it.

So yeah, apparently Ska is stamped with the Talkbass Seal of Approval.
  8. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Time Bomb - Rancid
    Come On Eileen - Save Ferris
    One Step Beyond - Madness
  9. Well I was gonna say REEL BIG FISH, but seeing as you covered that already...Voodoo Glowskulls are pretty good, and so are Mustard Plug...but REEL BIG FISH ALL THE WAY!!! err sorry...
  10. Whoa, good, then I suppose I'm jumping aboard the bandwagon and riding it to ska-town!

(Boy that was weak, why did I type that, more importantly why am I going to go hit the submit reply button? Oh well.)
  11. The Mad Caddies, Check those guys out, Especially the songs Road Rash and Econoline, i got a chance to see those guys recently, and they blew me away!
  12. you want the extra post on your post count?

On topic, Op Ivy *Take Warning*
  13. Area 7 - I cannot recomend this band enough. They havnt made it big world wide (yet), but Im sure you can find lots of their songs on the net. They are without a doubt the best ska band I have ever heard. Plus they started before Ska become popular, so they are original, not bandwagon jumpers. Check out the following songs:

Let Me Down
    Bitter And Twisted
    Second Class Citizen
    Road Rage
    Schizo (Im A Scizophrenic And So am I)

Everyone I know who has seen this band love them, even those who would usually hate ska or punk. Plus they are great guys in real life, the day after a festival I ended up sitting next to them in a cinema! They were happy to have a chat and sign my CD (Which I had just bought after seeing them play the previous day!)

Check em out at: http://www.area7.com.au
  14. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Beat me to it. I agree, that cd is splendid, good bass stuff on it too.
  15. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Less than Jake- Johnny Quest think we're sellouts
  16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Wasn't there a post similar to this one a few weeks back?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
  17. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    goto www.mp3.com/adamsnotfunny and download apocalypse. OR if you have audio galaxy type in Adams not funny. Download the stuff on there. also goto mp3.com/presidentlemon and download the song on "P.O.V."
  18. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    The Guns of Navarone - The Skatalites/the Specials
    is a classic. Also, start off with the 2-tone stuff (Specials, Beat, Selecter, Body Snatchers, Madness...) and work your way fwd. Don't even listen to NoDoubt, Save Ferris, ReelBigFish, et al, until you have the roots down.

Secret Agent Man - The Toasters
    Inner London Violence - Bad Manners
  19. jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    Check out the first Fishbone album too. There are a couple classics on there.