please don't burn me at the stake!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Aug 26, 2001.

1. I have a Dearmond M-77T gu**ar and I recently found out that Dearmond is closing up.... my question is, do you think that this guitar might become more valuable now that the business has gone under?

Thanks, Nate
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, lots of us bass players own a guitar or two, so we're not gonna burn you at the stake.:)

I seriously doubt if any of the current production model DeArmonds will ever be worth very much.

While they are nice guitars and basses for the price, they are nothing special, mass produced and made overseas.

Doesn't make them bad though. Like I said, they are good values for the money, especially at the closeout prices everyone has them for right now.
  3. Yea I dont mind it when people give me s*** for playing a Dearmond, I plays and sounds nice to me. Actually the body is made overseas but the pickups are US made. Plus is is backed by fenders lifetime warrenty so I dont have too much to worry about. Thanks

Nate M
  4. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I own 2 DeArmond basses and one DeArmond guitar. I bought the Starfire bass a year ago for $300 and recently saw one sold on another forum for $400. You just never know, supply and demand kind of thing. It would not surprise me to be able to sell my $159 Pilot Plus V or my $99 S-65 a year from now for more than they cost me. But I'll probably keep them.
  5. yep.. i play on a 7-string guitar ( Ibanez rg7321 ) too :D
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
  7. nope.. loyal Ibanez endorser ;)
  8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas

I'm not sure if that is spelled right, but anyway, I'm just messing around. I don't play guitar by the way, I just never could use to playing such a small thing.
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Oh. Well, when you put it that way...
  10. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I used to play the guitar. I stopped for a while to devote myself completly to the bass. I picked my guitar up a few weeks ago and the strings felt so tiny, like fishing line. Really, really weird. I couldnt do crap with it hardly so i just put it away. Back to the bass.
  11. Me too, Ibanez is very cool I'm proud to endorse them.

To the topic I think it goes down after they clear their factories and then up in value only after about decade. So hang on to it.
  12. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Who hasn't picked up a guitar here? I sometimes will pick up a tele, or strat, or an acoustic, and just play some chords. It is a good thing for a bass player to know guitar chords.
  13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a Gibson J-100 acoustic. I play it all the time. Sit around and sing and have fun with my boys. They love it. Take it to family picnics and outings here and there. Camping trips or whatever. Ill say it out loud, "I love playing guitar also!!""
  14. (Homer Simpson voice, to nate 0 jt) why you LITTLE...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey now don't freak out dude. No one will burn you OK? You can mention the "G" word here (heh heh)

I do play some "gu**ar" I have a classical "gu**ar" but only since I can't afford an electric...hey I'm a BASSIST! I also own a Casio keyb***d, a tam****ine, and a harm***ca.

As for the DeArmond thing...they are closing? Oh man... they have some OK "gu**ars". Well if the price is right... there is this purple one at one store...
  15. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I thought that good electrics were cheaper than good acoustics. BTW, you can probably get a danelctro for around $100, or a mim fender for cheap, too.
  16. A good guitar is a good guitar. You can get a good acustic (taylor 810, Gibson j-45, Martin D-28) for around $1,800 give or take on the situation. A good electric guitar (depends what you call good) will be around $1,000-2,000 (Fender Am. Series Strat/tele is $800, Gibson Les Paul std. is around $2,000, Gretsch, all "gretsch line", not budget line, will run around $1,500) but then you gotta get a guitar amp, and well.. those run around $1,200 for a 2x12 tube combo, and up to $2,000-$3,000 to get a half stack. All prices are of course subjective, and do not include custome hand made instruments or amps. )

I have a bunch of guitars... not many basses... i play both equaly.. guitars i've got a couple of strats, a gretsch, a taylor.

Guitars are great for song writing and when writing bass lines (record guitar track by yourself, and then write bass line while listening to the guitar part). Be careful with your guitars though, you may get addicted... as did i.
  17. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I would consider a good amp, something like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville which are really nice sounding amps. Those are a lot less than $1,200.
  18. Those are actuly "budget" amps compared to the other fender amps... kinda.... I would consider a fender "Evil Twin" a good if not great amp, as well as a fender Deluxe Reverb 62 RI a good if not great amp, both these amps are $1,200.

You can basicly consider the Pro Junior, Blues Jr, HRD, (deluxe and devillie), could be liek the MIM series, where as the "Evil Twin", all the RI, Super Reverb, and all those are the "good" amps. The HRD is a good amp, but not compared to the others.

I would consider the Marshall JCM 900 a good if not great amp. once again, different strokes for different folks.
  19. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I like blackface and the 'ol tweed.
  20. i'm buying a mandolin soon...and i'm only 17...