Please don't get mad but.... about this Twitter thing...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. In Memoriam

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Lately, as I've read the news, it seems like news sources are obsessed with cut and paste to Twitter everything everyone says. It seems like most of the news nowadays (at least headlines) is Twittered. There are still a lot of newspapers that write full on stories, but why so much Twitter activity? Why is the press so obsessed with Twitter?

Help me understand.... I'm not trolling or trying to start an argument.

2. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I think that the 'news' sites are losing relevancy to social media apps like Twitter et. al. and are trying to hang onto the coattails of these sites while they figure out what to do.

3. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    That's what people said when television started reporting and opinionating on the news.

I don't do or support Twitter, just glad someone other than myself wades through clutter and reports.
    I'm sure if I was a Twitterer(Tweeter?) I'd be banned anyway.

Robroy, SirMjac28, andruca and 2 others like this.
  4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Do real men Twitter? Really?

Wavy, jebmd, ianuaditis and 7 others like this.
  5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa
    A friend described Twitter as Facebook for people with ADD. That's fairly accurate, and exactly why I don't use it myself.

6. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Twitter seems to be the medium of choice for making a damned fool of yourself.

7. Really??

:woot:

47th Street likes this.
  8. Because most people are stupid and can't tell fake news from the real thing? Dumb$$$$$ even thought a story on a site that promotes itself as satire was real and kept retweeting on twitter as fact...

the only thing that can fight stupid is education, which is obviously sorely lacking in this country.

47th Street, fttfbass, DavC and 18 others like this.
  9. Pumpkin

Pumpkin

May 19, 2016
    Washington, DC
    At risk of flirting with TB rules, the rise of Twitter in the news coressponds fairly directly with the current president elect's political rise. On top of that, media types like the fact that twitter is generally the first place a story breaks and have made it the place to be for their crowd.

10. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Because reading a news story takes forever and there are so many big words.

I could watch my local news, but they just don't have the heft and gravitas that a one word sentence with half spelled words does.

Plus, how would I know what my leaders are thinking? If I waited on the "lame stream" media to report the so-called "important" news, I might miss out on some profound thoughts.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    We are (thankfully) getting to the point where news is unfiltered through "news organizations". For a couple hundred years we have gotten the news "they" want us to have. Now, the news makers can communicate directly with us.

If my wife wants to know what Blake Shelton thinks right now (and she does), she doesn't have to go to an entertainment news site or CNN.

If I want to know what politicians think, I can go directly to them rather than having my news "cleansed" by one side or the other. And, make no mistake, ALL news is filtered toward an agenda. ALL of it. You point me to an "unbiased" news source and I will show you it's bias in short order.

I don't participate in social media, but I'm all for it. This is a good thing. Sure, it gives a platform to some idiots. But it also allows people to go directly to the source of many news stories.

Adults in this country are supposed to be grownups. It is THEIR job to research and filter for THEMSELVES the important issues of the day. I don't need ANY "news" organization or government agency filtering my news for me. To me, the separation of PRESS and state is more important than any layer of government separation. If you DO need such filters, the problem is you.

12. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
  13. Unfiltered ?

:roflmao:

I was at a party and a woman marvelled how her son twatted her every 15 minutes to update her on whatever war-torn country he happened to be violating as a happenstance tourist.

Yeah, bloody marvellous! He has NO idea what they're fighting about, no background knowledge of the conflict or issues, is unable to interview key figures from either side from a knowledgeable perspective with educated to-the-point questions — just his own immediate reactions "Ooooh that one was close, maybe three miles away!"

Well whooop dee doo-doo Basel, whoop dee – don't step in it!

z_KPsUk.jpg

"Centuwion, why do they twatter so?"

14. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Normally I'm a huge fan of social media, I use it every day. Nothing works better for getting news about celebrities. But I'd never trust it to actually report on a govt agency.
    You can't even trust it to get a recipe or some dang bass tabs right. If Fox News and CNN are both reporting a plane went down, it went down. If some idiot is reporting a plane went down it probably landed an hour ago, but it was really hot outside and he thought maybe a plane went down but turns out it was a car backfire.

People don't want to hear bad news about people or parties they vote for, and they don't like it when their guy doesn't win the big election. So they whine about the media being unfair and they go to the Huffington Post or The Federalist so they can get their preconceived, predetermined opinions gently fed back to them. It's the information version of a college safe space. People can no longer separate facts from their own opinion.

15. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. In Memoriam

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Going back to Twitter, why is such a popular medium now? I have a theory I heard from a lecture in college by a media professor.
    My guess is what the professor called-- the dumbing down of America. People want instant gratification. They want to be fed news or sound bites. Most don't seem to have the time to study issues anymore, they listen to commercials or sound bites and make decisions off of that.

I'm an old dog, but I like the idea of writing more than one sentence to a friend when communicating. Not misspelled shortcut words.

16. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Isn't a twitter that spot between the t*** and the s******?

17. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    ...or blake shelton.

seang15, GregC and Killed_by_Death like this.
  18. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    garbagecan.jpg

19. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    ^^^

20. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I guess if "unfiltered" is more important to you than vetting and fact-checking then social media can be your preferred truth.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.