Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please don't hate me but... I WANNA GET BETTER AT GUITAR!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, here's the deal. I wanna put out a CD with music that is by me. My current deal is, I play bass alright, I play keyboard... almost alright, and I'm almost alright at guitar. So I was wondering if anyone can help me get better at guitar. I mostly want to be a "Metal" guitarist. If I had to find a guitarist that described how I wanted to play, it would be the guy from Prong. But ehhh not exactly.

Alright If I wanted to become a somewhat decent (funk)metal guitarist... does anyone have any advice? Know any websites? Know any good right hand exercises (no pervert jokes please :rolleyes: ), or any other advice to make a metal guitarist out of me. (Don't worry, I'd never bail out on bass, guitars are just fun little toys)

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OOoh, I just figured out a way to describe the guitar I want to play. Listen to some Mr. Bungle. Death metal, with some funk, with a side of ska.

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    work on double-picking. for the fast stuff.

maybe drop tune. power chords with one finger? sure!

um...practice?

keep on strummin'!

4. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey stupid.. YOU TRAITOR!
    DO YOU THINK IM GONNA TELL YOU HOW TO PLAY GUITAR..HELL FN NO!
    wassup man?
    :D
    Hows your band going?
    we got 17 songs recorded for the album so far and im gonna try to get 7 more (most my songs are under 2 minutes).
    Buttmonkey/crapcore fell through.. it was so impossible to get it done..
    I actually found a drummer.. my girlfriend.. she can keep straight time and play some of my fills that i did during recording (smile) shes good. in and out of bed *shhhhhhhhhhh you dont know that*

well i just bought a telecaster so its fun ive been learning some old punk stuff..
    Try some double picking though. Power Chords are fun.. Go get a Pointy guitar.. and a bad rugged distortion pedal *grins*
    GET TO WANKIN!

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ehhhh.... my band sucks :oops: . I need to get a better at guitar and find something to convert midis to wavs... then uhhh... get good at recording stuff... and get good at bass... and... write songs... realized that midi drums suck and buy a drum kit and record real drums... and... get good at drums... THEN I'LL BE SET!!

6. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    hell, man, you're halfway there already!

7. For guitar, learn as many chords as possible. You don't necessarily have to know what to do with them at first. But, with more than just powerchords in your book, you can do a lot. And I suggest learning a bunch of classic rock songs. After learning several Sabbath and Who songs, I was much better at guitar for some reason.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, here's my true dilema... I don't want to practice guitar... :D :( ... I don't like the guitar, I find it boring and... eh... twangy. But in order to have decent guitar on my album, I have to either A) Get decent at guitar or B) Get a decent guitar player. Since I want this to mostly be MY album... I want A. Oh and I have learned more than power chords. I've learned a few open chords major and minor, bar chords major and minor, obviously power chords. Well to give you an idea of my guitar playing ability, I just learned the clean solo to Weezer's "Say It Ain't So" without too much trouble. But I'm more a rhythm guitarist anyhoo, when I need a solo... eh... BASS SOLO!! no... that would probably be just as bad, soloing in general isn't my strong point. Oh well.

9. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    need motivation for learning guitar?

think of the money and chicks.

...or the possible cool sounds from a nice progression.

i write lots of stuff on guitar now. maybe even moreso than bass! i play it more than bass at home, anyway (did i just admit that? :eek: ).

you haven't been able to find any guitar stuff that makes you say "i've got to be able to play that!"?
    eg-tool did that for me.

go find out some potentially inspiring tracks for yourself, as i have no idea what your tastes are or what would get you going.

if all else fails, money and chicks, man...

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, here's the deal with money and chicks. No one in their right mind would buy the album I'm planning on putting out. On to the chicks... my girlfriend would be PISSED! hehe. But yeah, I'd imagine I can find some inspiration in guitar if I try. Tool is awesome, I can play Sober on guitar... well most of it. I figured it out from watching my guitarist friend play it... errrr. Since I'm going for funk metal kind of stuff, I'd imagine logically I should learn some funk metal. Or better yet, learn some funk, then learn some metal... *sigh* It's rough being a rock star ;)

11. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey man
    im in the same boat
    my girlfriend is actually my drummer now *grins*
    no chicks for me.. im getting propper loving and cuddling momments *grins again*
    well i might try to get my brother to be in the band.. he wants to learn guitar.. our songs are fairly eeasy.. just simple 4 chord punk songs.. not anything that special.. i just like doing it cause its an experience..
    I wanna do something kinda like tool or Dream Theater(rather tool i like tool better sept i rather have portnoy than carey)
    well goodluck.. ive learned some blues songs on my guitar..im getting decent i can play 10 or 11 songs now.

12. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I understand your feelings completely.Everyone knows that the only people who pretend to want to be bass players do so because THEY CAN'T CUT IT!

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright you caught me, I always wanted to be a guitar player, because guitarists are so original. I mean, it's so rare that you see a guitarist anymore, and boy when they hit a power chord the panties just hit the floor. I just pretend to like bass because I don't sound like Jimi Hendrix, but I probably will in another week, then I'll say screw bass, I'm finally playing a cool instrument.

This message brought to you by sarcasm, annoying and entertaining since 1923.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ehhh, bump?!

Sorry guys I want new input. I just bought a new guitar/amp/****.

15. Oliphaunt

Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    Guitar playin' fools make me mad!
    [​IMG]

16. yeggi

yeggi

Feb 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    is there a website to help learn guitar? such as activebass.com or studybass.com?

17. yeggi

yeggi

Feb 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    well i did what people tell me and searched it before i posted, and i didnt wanna make a pointless thread so i replied to this one

18. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Apparently you didn't do a good enough serach on the intarwebz for "guitar instruction" or "guitar lessons". There is TONS of information out there.