Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please don't laugh at this question but....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by $$$TRIS$$$, Feb 8, 2002.

1. $$$TRIS$$$

$$$TRIS$$$

Aug 7, 2001
    I wish to buy a songbook for the Who so i can nail some of those entwhistle lines. ANyway i looked up a few songbooks, now they all seem to say guitar/piano/vocals. Now i've never purchased a songbook before, so if it says 'guitar' does this include bass aswell? Or should it say guitar/bass/piano/vocals?

Plus can anyone recommend a Who songbook to purchase?

thanks...

2. Bassmouse3

Bassmouse3

Nov 12, 2001
    Valby, Denmark
    I'm no expert on the subject, but I do believe that when a book includes piano clef, it also includes the bass clef, although I could very well be wrong.
    Also, bear in mind that John Entwistles bass lines are quite intricate, thus you probably will not find an accurate transcription.
    Best Regards,
    Bassmouse3.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've never looked for a Who one specifically, but with 99% of songbooks, they will give you piano and/or guitar chords (Tabs!) which outline the harmony and the tune with words. They almost never give a transcription of the bassline - unless this is a "riff" or hook to the song.

I would say that if it says "guitar/piano/vocals" you are almost certainly not going to get a transcription of any basslines. Led Zeppelin 1-5 complete, has been the onlly exception to this rule, I've found - but then they have a lot of riffs.

I think you would be better off using search engines on the web and putting in terms like "John+ Entwistle+transcriptions+bass+lines" .

4. No. Get the true Bass version! Its got to be out there somewhere ....

Guitar version will do you no good.

5. There was nothing laughable about that question. It was a very good and sensible question. As for an answer, in addition to the above, if you're buying your books from a music store, ask the salespeople there. Tell them what you are looking for (specifically) and they may be able to point you in the right direction.

X

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

For the most part, the piano lines in a songbook do contain both bass and trebel clef, but keep in mind the bass clef is wriiten for the piano. It usually doesn't substitute for a "true bassline" as it would be played by the bass player.

Any songbook that I ever bought that had a bassist's bassline stated on the cover that the bass part was included. Usually what happens, however, is that the bass part is wriiten in a separate book entirely as is common with Metallica music for example. The part for bass guitar has it's own book.

That said, I do have a Jimmi Hendrix book that has the guitar and the bass. They are in separate units of the same book. I think it has drum lines, too, in its own part. I also have a Red Hot Chili Pepppers songbook in that format.

A band as important as The Who might have some basslines available. There is a web site called sheetmusicplus.com Check it.

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I got(& still have!)the Quadraphenia songbook...given to me Christmas of '75. ;)
    IMO, there's a fair depiction of Entwhistle's bass lines in this SONGbook("The Real Me" is pretty much on it...that sold me on the book!).

Actually, way back, SONG BOOKS were fairly pitiful as far as the bass goes...I was reared on Led Zeppelin Complete(as was Bruce); some of the lines in that SONGbook were close enough...that forced me to figure stuff out on my own.
    Most of the time, however, it was a boring piano bass part(even though some of these tunes/bands had NO piano!). ;)

What I have noticed in the last decade-
    ...the books have gotten a whole lot better!
    Artist Transcriptions & Recorded Versions are two of the best I've seen...AT, I think, gives ya the whole damn score!

8. $$$TRIS$$$

$$$TRIS$$$

Aug 7, 2001
    Thanks for the speedy replies everyone.

I did have a look around the sheetmusic site and they have a lot of books on the Who but none which speicfy bass. I think the quadrophenia songbook must be out of print now. Oh well!

I managed to figure out a large amount of the tommy album by just looking at the guitar tabs. But if anyone knows how to play 5.15 i would really appreciate a transcription of that one.

Thanks again people for the advice :)